Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Variable psu troubleshoot

Hi everyone, I am looking to fix a tekpower tp12001x The unit is used for anodizing metals. It is a 0-120 @1A. When the unit is turned on I notice the bubbles in the solution which means current is going through but amp not going back down. Can someone help me with this issue? Thanks!

What do you mean "amp not going back down"?
Need more exact info about the problem you are having.

Last edited:
Hi there, so when anodizing metals a psu unit is used to fine tune the voltage to obtain different colour shades. Batteries can be used but it will max out at some point and a pain to set up. The psu unit allows for more colours. When anodizing ,as you may know, you need to dip your piece in a solution with a lead from the- to a cathode and + to the piece. When you adjust the voltage to obtain the desired colour the amp should go up briefly and get down again to almost 0 when anodizing is complete. The process is pretty fast just few minutes. On my unit the amp doesn’t go back down or extremely slowly. So the piece is not changing colour. Is this helping? Thanks

I have never tried anodizing but have watched the process.
What metals are you referring to?
Aluminium is probably the most common.
Make sure your solution ratio is good and the most important factor is to keep the piece close to the lead without touching. Some people use Aluminium plate instead of lead.
You also have to clean the metals properly (caustic soda) beforehand.

1A seems very low for anodizing. I have seen up to 5A being used depending on thickness, length etc. Some have a chart that helps put them in the ball park to get started.

But your PSU may well be faulty. Have you tested it with an electrical device?

Martin

Harald Kapp

On my unit the amp doesn’t go back down or extremely slowly.
The current will fall "automatically" when more and more of the metal becomes anodized and thus non-conducting. As others have stated here before, a current of 1 A may simply be to low so anodizing will take much longer and consequently current will fall slower and take longer, too.

The unit will be sent back for repair. I use it for titanium anodizing. When I tried to go up to 93v sparks were coming out of the piece and still not getting the proper colour for that voltage. I know that my set up and prep is ok as I have tried with batteries and it was working perfectly. Thanks again guys.