Maker Pro
Maker Pro

usb power supply for EP2C5T144 FPGA Altera Cyclone II

Hi everyone, I have this fpga, but I do not know which type of power supply should I use with it. I considered using this power supply usb:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/2Pcs-5V-DC-P...?pt=AU_Laptop_Accessories&hash=item3f340548af

do you think it's okay?

sku_148979_1.jpg

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
It may be ok. The power consumption is going to depend significantly on what you're doing.

I can't find the minimum current requirements in the 470 page manual but resources on-line suggest that there is a 2A "fuse" on the board. If you're powering this from a power supply with a USB connection you should be fine. If you're using a USB port on a computer be aware that they are often capable of lower current.

thanks for the reply, so if I connect the cable to the PC,probably the fpga may not have energy sufficiency to work. but if I try to connect the cable to the PC (which it supplies a current lower), the fpga can damage itself? otherwise I should buy a 5v power supply, 5.5x2.1mm .... would you recommend to me one?thanks for the reply, so if I connect the cable to the PC,probably the fpga may not have energy sufficiency to work. but if I try to connect the cable to the PC (which it supplies a current lower), the fpga can damage itself? otherwise I should buy a 5v power supply, 5.5x2.1mm .... could you recommend me a power supply ?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
The FPGA probably wont be damaged by the voltage. Insufficient power wont damage it. If it and the Arduino are powered from the same USB port then you'll probably know if the protection on the port kicks in as the Arduino may stop.

You can get inline voltage and current monitors for USB. I have one and I would use it if I were going to connect something like this. You can get them off eBay for almost nothing.

I am still concerned about the input voltage range for the logic pins of the FPGA. Google around for how people have connected these and see if anyone uses a lower supply voltage for the Arduino or some sort of translation or protection for them