Maker Pro
Maker Pro

TO-220 to SMD

I bought a cheap BMS module for my headway LiFePo4 cells which was supposed to balance the cells and protect from over current charge and discharge.
It didn't, but instead fried two of my headway cells and one of it's own power mosfets. Looking up the mosfet number it was a obsolete Toshiba part and unobtainable at a reasonable price if at all. The datasheet shows that it's only available as a through hole TO-220 package, but the one on the board is surface mount. My question is, can you perform surgery on a TO-220 mosfet, removing the center leg and grinding away much of the heatsink and use it as a surface mount component as this seems what has been done on the BMS board?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I think you're describing a TO-263 or D2PAK. Whilst you may be able to butcher a TO-220 into something like that, maybe you can find a suitable replacement in the correct package.

Thank you,
As I said the original mosfet is a Toshiba TK80E07NE and the datasheet only shows it being available in TO-220 AB package, also looking at the mosfet on the board the drain wire has been cut at a slight angle and shows bright copper.
I have a bag of RFP70N06 mosfets in TO-220 so I'll 'modify' one and give it a try. Nothing left to lose.