Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Table radio makes loud popping sound when powered on

Hi all
My Superadio 3 makes a loud popping sound in the speaker when powered on. I am attaching a small video with the sound. I think when I first got it the sound was less loud. I tried turning down the volume before powering it on but this doesn't change the noise. Reason for asking is I wonder if this could damage some electronic component and also if this will keep getting louder. I watched a video on Youtube with a person unboxing a similar new unit, he put batteries in it and upon powering it up for the first time we can hear the same popping sound, although less loud.

The GE Superadio 3 Tech Page (earmark.net)

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Just because it has a famous name brand, and costs big bux, doesn't mean it has a good design. The "pop" is probably the audio output stage charging up a capacitor coupling the audio to the loudspeaker. The capacitor may be defective, or this may be "normal" operation for the circuit. A lot of audio circuits are built and sold to consumers (that would be you) based on the cost to build them, not on the quality of the results. If this "pop" bothers you, and it only occurs when the radio is first powered on, you might consider putting on a pair of ear-plugs to attenuate the sound of the "pop." You might also contact the manufacturer to ask whether this is a problem that will later lead to the demise of your radio. If so, try to return it for a refund. And be sure to "try out" any replacement radio before you purchase, even if it has a "lifetime" guarantee.

you could open it up and see if there's any dried or leaky capacitors but if that's the design of it then it's normal, you could modify the circuit but you void your warranty simply by opening it