Maker Pro
Maker Pro

SW radio using OP amplifier

Because of unknown reason similar post is closed i open new one .
Why i simply have lot of this chips and would be odd to throw them into
garbage,
In the past i have build FM transmitter with 4.5 V using two RF trasistors and
uA741 on this 4.5V battery and work well...
so now i am wondering how is possible that uA741 in metal case work on such a low voltage?

Harald Kapp

uA741 on this 4.5V battery and work well...
It may work, but possibly not well.
The µA741 is specified for +- 5 V min. supply voltage. To ensure every chip will work at this low supply voltage, the manufacturer will test the chips to somewhat below this min. value. SO the chips leaving factory may or may not work even at +-4 V. This is however not a reliable design as the chip is operated outside its specification. Some chips will work at +-4.5 V, other will not. And some of those that work from +-4.5 V under room temperature conditions may fail in hot or cold weather.

Yes that is strange to me either, in that fm transmitter uA741 was used as microphone preamplifier for oscillator
part of fm transmitter and if i rememeber circuit work ok.
When i looking into iner circuit of 741 chip we can see that output transitors are complementary with
two resistors at emitters upper is 25 ohm and lower 50 ohms which is probably used to limit
output current of chip and they have very high resistance.

bertus

Hello,

That 741 amplifier circuit will not work.
The negative going signals will be cut.
Also the 741 will not be able to drive a speaker.

Bertus

bertus

Hello,

The shown schematic has no bias for the opamp.
Also there is no detector.
It probably uses the opamp itself as detector.

Bertus

Yes Bertus you have a right ,i will add 50k trim-pot to try
and yes it should be regenerative detektor.
I have somwhere ..in a one old electronic book similar circuit
so i will try ...thanks for a tip !
upload_2020-10-19_18-24-45.png

bertus

Hello,

If you want to bias the opamp correctly, have a look at fig 3 of the attached PDF.

Bertus

Attachments

• sloa058 A Single-Supply Op-Amp Circuit Collection.pdf
    163.1 KB · Views: 4
Yes i see it is non-inverting version where is nothing connected from + rail
right? just a input capacitor ?
upload_2020-10-19_19-30-26.png

bertus

Hello,

Do you see the point Vcc/2 ?
That is on half the supply voltage.
It can be done using two equal resistors with a capacitor of 10 uF from the middle to ground.

Bertus

I see that point of course but for working point transistor base dont need voltage splitter with
two resistors as far as i know ...i will see

Harald Kapp

for working point transistor base dont need voltage splitter with
two resistors as far as i know
Depends on the specific circuit and can be true for single transistors. However, you're dealing with an operational amplifier here which is much more complex and requires an input voltage higher than the negative suupply voltage and lower than the positive supply voltage.
This kind of amplifier was originally meant to be used with a positive and a negative supply, so with no input signal (0 V) the voltage at the inputs and the output would be at 0 V, which is exactly halfway between V- and V+.
A single supply lacks the negative rail, so the input reference (formerly 0 V) needs to be brought to within the available range of the supply voltage, namely 0 V ... V+. A common way to do this is to use V+/2. One could use other values like 2/3 × V+ or 1/3 × V+, but that would lead to asymmetric behavior. Read this application note for more in detail information.

Note that there are so called rail-to-rail opamps which can operate from a single supply with input signals reaching down to 0 V and up to V+. But even these cannot be used with AC input signal reaching below 0 V without adding an offset (see app note).

Ha ha "lousy" if is uA741 lousy what is then with LM386 ..it is probably SUPER lousy with
annoying hiss.
uA741 is probably one of the best every made chips , just to let you know some special version are used in
military applications from -50 to 150 C degrees...

The lousy 52 years old 741 opamp should be kissed "goodbye" then buried. It was never made for audio because its slew rate is too low therefore it cannot produce full output at the highest audio octave from 9kHz to 20kHz and its noise is so high that it is not spec'd.

The LM386 is a power amplifier, not a preamplifier. Its noise level is fairly low at its default gain of 20 bit the noise is bad when its gain is 200. If you need the gain of a preamp then use a low noise audio opamp for it.

New Japan radio made a NJR386 copy of the LM386. Their datasheet has horrible "Engrish" and says for lower noise then use resistors to ground on the inputs that are less than 10k ohms. The Ruby guitar amplifier project used the Japanese NJR386.

```The LM386 is a power amplifier, not a preamplifier```
well who know that ??? he he better noisy toy powerish amplifier which is not used in almost any comercial
product