Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sound pulse to LED

Hi, I am in need of help with a circuit to make an LED flash between 20 to 200 beats per min.. I have an app on the notebook but would like to arrange a LED externally so I need to plug into the ear piece and have a LED flash to the metronome. I have tried many different transistors but they all appear very slow? Is there anyone who can help or point me to the right place,
Many thanks,
Peter

Harald Kapp

Welcome to EP.
I have tried many different transistors but they all appear very slow?
Slow? What exactly have you tried (circuit diagram)?

I need to plug into the ear piece and have a LED flash to the metronome.
The audio output of the laptop carries a tone (click) for each tick of the metronome?

To make the LED flash visibly I recommend you use a monostable multivibrator to generate a pulse of a defined length. A simple circuit using a 555 chip is e.g. shown here. A calculator for determining componnet values is included.
The output of the 555 can directly control an LED with a suitable current limiting resistor. Assuming a 9 V battery for power supply and a red LED, a 1 kΩ series resistor is good. Connect the resistor to the output of teh 555, then to the anode of the LED. Connect the cathode of teh LED to ground (0 V).
What's left is a suitable trigger circuit. An NPN transistor (almost any type will do) and a pull-up resistor should do the trick:
upload_2018-11-19_8-14-37.png
You may have to crank up the volume of the laptop's audio output for a reliable trigger.