Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Short wave radio on breadboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have build a SW radio on bread board. I am using LM741 operational amplifier. But after powering it up it does not work. Please see the attached image of the circuit.20200826_091716 (1).jpg

Harald Kapp

This is by no means a short wave radio.
This circuit has so many flaws:
  1. negative supply of the LM741 is blocked by a 47 pF capacitor. SO there is no power to the opamp.
  2. The LM741 requires a minimum supply voltage of +- 10 V, see the datasheet. Operating it from a single 9 V cell is out of spec at the least.
  3. The "-" input of the LM741 is left floating. Even with a correct power supply the opamp will either go into saturation of oscillate wildly.
  4. I see no demodulator circuit. Do you use the input of the LM741 for demodulation?

Where did you get this "circuit" from? It is imho completely useless.

So I removed the 47 pf capacitor. You were right! It was blocking the negative supply. Sorry Mr. Herald Kapp for providing you incorrect information. I got confused as I have both of them.
I got this circuit from this YouTube video

Please watch it. This guy gets confused in pin 6 and pin 7 of 741 opamp please ignore that and watch the rest of the video.

This radio is nothing but a tank circuit resonating a particular frequency gives input to a differentiator(High pass filter). A simple SW radio(based on the frequency band it works best with).

bertus

Hello,

The UA741 also shows +/- 5 volts or 10 volts as minimum power supply.

Bertus

Attachments

• UA741CD_to_UA741N_philips.pdf
    108.1 KB · Views: 3
The video is missing a schematic and parts list.
The antique 741 opamp was designed 52 years ago. It should be buried. Use a modern amplifier.
The opamp has positive feedback instead of negative feedback.
The radio is missing a Power Amplifier to drive a speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.