Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Servo control of Outboard Motor Gearshift with 3 Switches

I have an idea to control my outboard motor (8HP) gearshift with a three switch array, Forward,nuetral and astern just by press and release switches.The installation would be hard wired for about 6 metres and connected directly to the servo which will be mounted directly to the shift ,(no Bowden Cables).
The same hard wired system would be used for the gas control where the servo is mounted directly above the carb and controlled by a Potentiometer .
I am a total newby to controlers ,computer programs etc and need some brains to help me.Thank you in advance for your time

Welcome to EP!
An interesting scheme, but quite a challenge even for seasoned hobbyists.
Do you have mechanical engineering skills and facilities?
Do you have any experience in building electronic gadgets?

Welcome to EP!
An interesting scheme, but quite a challenge even for seasoned hobbyists.
Do you have mechanical engineering skills and facilities?
Do you have any experience in building electronic gadgets?
Hi Alec-T thanks for the prompt reply, I have engineering skills and facilities,My electronic skills are limited to put it lightly ,but am willing to learn.The mount for the gas servo is made, the GS servo mount is quite simple .I have bought a Genuino kit to learn on and can read schematics.

The Geniuno looks more than capable. Even a smaller micro would do the job, since monitoring three switches and a pot and outputing appropriate signals to two servos in no particular hurry doesn't seem too demanding :) . The software will need to cater for safety features, such as not allowing instant reversal of direction. I'm sure there's some forum member here to help you with that if required.
Do you already have servo drivers?

Hi Alec-T, Thanks for encouragement. In my plan I was going to use 3 switches for the gearshift control. 1 for forward ,number 2 for neutral and number 3 for astern.The switches would stay on the stops until demanded by another. Number 3 =engine going astern, Wanted neutral just press " , and so on.No I have no servos yet I was going to get two Hitechs on a visit to UK, I need one with max 7Kilo and one with max 1.5 kilo, ,that side is tested and angle measured as well, so as you can note I am itching at the starting blocks!

I'd also consider some form of interlock eg an emergency stop switch that cuts the power to the servos. If you happen to be leaning over the boat and your code crashes due to a programming bug or an electrical disturbance it could engage the drive and throw you overboard.
If you are going to leave the engine on and not be on the bridge then the emergency stop should be activated. If the micro attempts to engage the drive there will be no power to drive the servo.

An alternative approach may be a stepper motor with a threaded rod or cam to accomplish the cable pulling.

Hi ArmRules,Thanks for the input,It is a small vessel no Fly Bridge it already has an emergency stop electronics switch, normal type which is good for the job.The main mechanics are all patterned or conceived, But the main aim is NO Bowden cables!These type controls were used by Noah ,but companies are still selling these things yet we can send probes to Mars! how retarded is that. On a small boat with BCables every time you move the steering ,merely the flexing of the BCables changes revs ,etc. As I say the servo planning and mechanics are done ,I just need some Brains to come up with some coding ideas.Many thanks