Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Self-contained mp3/audio trigger sound box project - advice needed

Hi all,

I want to build a 'sound box' that has a simple push button which when pressed will play a single mp3 sound file.
The box needs to be sealed so apart from the 'play' button the only other interface item will be an on/off switch. The play button can't do anything else apart from trigger the audio file i.e. not pause or stop it, just play it.

I've been thinking about how to best achieve this. Whatever electronics there are inside need to be ready to play the mp3 file once the power has been turned on since the box will be closed. I thought about hacking a cheap mp3 player but the play button normally acts as a pause button too so that would be no good.

I found a website which has a Raspberry Pi project which would appear to do what I am looking for: https://learn.adafruit.com/playing-sounds-and-using-buttons-with-raspberry-pi/overview

I don't know anything about Raspberry Pis but if I could get the sound triggering program to run as soon as the device is powered on, that should work I think.

However, before I look into that, I was wondering if there is any other way to do what I need?

Thanks in advance for any suggstions

Harald Kapp

Welcome to out forum.

Have a look at this thread. This module or a similar one is obviously widely available and can be controlled using a single pushbutton for playback of 1 MP3 sound file. You may have to convert the MP3 to a WAV file or another format (I just don't remember which one, but the SW is availablel, too).

A raspberry Pi is overkill.