Maker Pro
Maker Pro

SD card slot won't lock card

I have a problem with an SD card slot in a camera.
Usually you push the card in and it "clicks" in place until you press it again and it pops out, but here the card won't stay in and just pops out no matter how many time I press. I have no idea how or why this has happened because I've been gentle with it. Is there a spring mechanism which can somehow be reset?

Have you set the small lock switch on the SD card to the unlocked condition?

Else, the problem could be mechanical wear, these mechanisms are only good for a few thousand insertions.

Just checked -the lock was off, but I tried in both positions just to be sure. No luck.
As for tear and wear -the camera is only a month old and I would guess I've had less than 20 insertions during that time. I'm thinking some spring somewhere has gotten out of place or something, but I don't know how these things work, and I'm unable to view it from the side as it goes into the battery compartment.

davenn

Just checked -the lock was off, but I tried in both positions just to be sure. No luck.

and have you tried the obvious .... another card ?
that will prove if it is the card or the mechanism in the camera that is faulty

if it is the camera you should be doing a warranty claim

Dave

Yes, same result with a different card.
So this isn't the sort of thing that happens now and then with SD card slots then? I'd hate to do a warranty claim only to have it suddenly working when they look at it because a spring has sprung back into place or something.

davenn

So this isn't the sort of thing that happens now and then with SD card slots then?

relatively rare, and rarer on a new camera, but does happen

so what is the make and model of the camera ?

I'd hate to do a warranty claim only to have it suddenly working when they look at it

was this shop or online purchased?
regardless ... it isn't working ... a warranty claim is in order

Dave

It's a Canon G7X -a high end compact camera bought in a shop. I'll take it back to the shop as the camera is useless without accepting a memory card.