Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Retractable Toy Hatchet Mechanism

Hi, I have a toy hatchet that I use for Live Action Role Playing, which is my school sport. I was wondering if I were to build such a thing, I know its mechanical. But is that still relevant to the website? If yes, then I want to share some designs on how I think I'm going to build it. This isn't MAKE Electronics related. It's just something I'm working on on the side. If not, could you let me know so that I don't post irrelevant stuff again? I just want to know if it looks like it could work. I'll show you guys design pictures when I know it's okay according to the website's rules. Thank you.

It's a foam axe. I already have it. They use fake weapons in the sport. No one actually gets hurt. I've made this design to be able to throw the axe and have it come back to my hand, like scorpion in mortal combat. That would be cool. No yeah, people mainly buy them from Toys R Us, and other kids stores like that. It's a point system based sport.

davenn

I have a boomerang that when I throw it, it returns to me

attachment.php

from wiki....
A boomerang is a thrown tool, typically constructed as a flat aerofoil, that is designed to spin about an axis perpendicular to the direction of its flight.
A returning boomerang is designed to circle back to the thrower.
Boomerangs have been historically used for hunting, as well as sport, and entertainment. They are commonly thought of as an Australian icon.

Dave

Attachments

• 290px-Boomerang.jpg
    290px-Boomerang.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
I have a boomerang that when I throw it, it returns to me

I know but a boomerang would hurt too much to be used in LARPing and if it hit someone safely, would it still return? I'm specifically talking about a mechanism where I can gain points by hitting something and not have to worry about someone getting it before I go grab it. See, in LARPing, the only ranged attacks are nerf guns, and thrown foam weapons. Most of the time, either the person runs out of ammo or they lose their weapon. I have designs for it if you want me to show them to you. You get a lot of points for ranged attacks, just for that reason.

I'm getting the impression you think it's a dreadful idea. I'm not mad or anything, but if that's the case, please tell me. I don't want to waste my time with this stuff.

What does this have to do with electronics? Are you taking about an axe that is an autonomous flying robot?

Bob

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Yeah, it's not much electronics, and I suggest that it's probably not going to be a good idea anyway.

Firstly, any retraction device is going to add weight to the handle or head of the "axe", and that is going to make it more dangerous.

Secondly, anything attached to the head of the axe is going to be a hazard (tripping, or wrapped around someone's neck for example) or too fragile to be useful.

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's practical.

Thanks. I have another thing I want to build as well.

I want to build a motor bike, or a bike propelled forward by a fan, for speed. Would that be a good first project? Should I just finish my electronics book before I start building stuff? Is building stuff a good way of learning as a beginner? Thoughts? There's other stuff I want to build also.

I know: Have the axe remain stationary and get people to throw themselves onto it while you run away from it, and then they run away again while you run back to it :D

Thanks

Thanks to you all including Raven. Um, I'm not allowed to decide other peoples moves for them,since that's not how the sport works. I understand the joke. I'm just looking for a project but thanks anyways. I'm thinking of trying to build a motor bike and see how that goes. Thanks for the imput Raven, but it's a more serious sport than you think. Lol. As for everyone else, thanks anyways.