Maker Pro
Maker Pro

replacing control panel on Treadmill with potentiometer

Trying to use the DC motor and power board on a treadmill for a sander build. The control panel has a 12 pin connector between it and the power board. Would like to eliminate the control panel with a simple 5k potentiometer.

davenn

Trying to use the DC motor and power board on a treadmill for a sander build. The control panel has a 12 pin connector between it and the power board. Would like to eliminate the control panel with a simple 5k potentiometer.

Not going to happen

The pot will not handle even a tiny fraction of the current needed for the motor to operate
that's why there are controllers for such situations

What is the model of the motor board, I designed some for the MC2100 series that require a 20Hz PWM control signal.
These use a pot and a start & stop P.B.
This is when using the motor controller in a stand-alone installation, drill press, sander etc.
M.

Not going to happen

The pot will not handle even a tiny fraction of the current needed for the motor to operate
that's why there are controllers for such situations
I assume the OP is asking if he can substitute the control console with a 5k pot into the motor control board.
That is the way I read it anyway.;)
M.

Would like to eliminate the control panel with a simple 5k potentiometer.
How many wires go from the control panel to the power board? Any more than 3 and you'll need more than a pot for controlling the motor. Even with just 3 there's no guarantee a pot would suffice.

davenn

How many wires go from the control panel to the power board? Any more than 3 and you'll need more than a pot for controlling the motor. Even with just 3 there's no guarantee a pot would suffice.

regardless of the number of wires, a pot on it's own isn't going to handle the voltage and current

Like I said the MC2100 and some others will not do it with a pot, it requires a PWM signal, this was sent down from the console in normal operation.
The older MC-60 had a 5k-10k pot that would do it. This was a SCR bridge controller.
So far the OP's board is unknown.
M.

I think there is a little confusion as to what exactly the pot refers to, the OP did say 'replace the control panel',
Which to infers that he wants to use the motor board as a stand-alone unit.
Not use a pot to directly control the motor.
M.

Hello,
Great job on your analysis.

I am trying to locate the related V+ and V- on my treadmill board (B102S S07 Shanghai Elect) to hook up on a Signal Freq Gen (XY-KPWM) to run my DC motor.

Background:
My treadmill console acts faulty (occasionally ask for safety key although installed) so I would like to replace it with a pwm controller to run the treadmill motor only.
So, I suspect for the four connections required on the signal generator are:

PWM = Yellow wire PWM
Ground= Purple wire GRD
V+ = ?
V- = ?

Can you please help me locate the related wires from the lower control board. Thank you in advance.Screenshot_20210603-164522_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210604-105901_Chrome.jpg

Know nothing about that model, but you could try a PWM signal into the PWM and VDD (Common).
I suspect the rest are other signals to the console, the problem maybe the frequency of the PWM required.

Thanks Minder.
So are you suggesting:
PWM = Yellow wire PWM
Ground= Purple wire GRD
V+ = Green wire VDD
V- = ?

The VDD maybe a source for the console, at least this is how the MC2100 boards work that I am familiar with.