Maker Pro
Maker Pro

replace piezo speaker with speaker

Hey I bought this network camera off the internet and it's supposed to have a speaker. It was very quiet at the max volume setting. I cut the wires off the piezo and now I would like to attach them to a self powered speaker/amp. What do I need to do to accomplish this?

I need the speaker so I can put the camera in my garage and yell at the dogs when they go to piss on things. They have been doing this for over a year now and I want them to stop.

Attachments

• 20150228_165515.jpg
    20150228_165515.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 20150303_181345.jpg
    20150303_181345.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 109

Harald Kapp

Welcome to electronics point.
The speaker in your first image isn't a piezo, it is a small coil operated speaker. You should be able to replace it by any other (amplified) speaker by connecting the red and black wires from the old speaker to the input of the new speaker.

Note that you may have to turn down the volume in the camera settings. Otherwise the voltage at the old speaker connections may be too high for the input of an amplified speaker and may overdrive it grossly. Set the camera's volume such that the new speaker doesn't distort, then control volume with the new speaker's volume control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to electronics point.
The speaker in your first image isn't a piezo, it is a small coil operated speaker. You should be able to replace it by any other (amplified) speaker by connecting the red and black wires from the old speaker to the input of the new speaker.

Note that you may have to turn down the volume in the camera settings. Otherwise the voltage at the old speaker connections may be too high for the input of an amplified speaker and may overdrive it grossly. Set the camera's volume such that the new speaker doesn't distort, then control volume with the new speaker's volume control.
Am i hooking something up wrong?

Attachments

• 20150305_194116.jpg
    20150305_194116.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 183
I set the camera volume to 3/10. If i get a buzzing noise if I touch the clip from the red wire to the wire on the audio cable but not much with it firmly clipped. That buzzing I mentioned happens whether the "speaker" on the camera is activated or not.

But no I don't really get anything. There is Definitely no change when I activate it and when it's at rest.

Attachments

• 20150306_133505.jpg
    20150306_133505.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 156

Harald Kapp

That "buzzing" noise isn't aht 60Hz, is it? You're probably picking up noise from the mains.
You need to ensure correct connectio to the (3.5mm?) audio jack. Here is an overview of typical connections. Use the leftmost (generic) configuration.
I doubt the color codes for the wires in the audio cable are standardized - and even if they are, there's no guarantee the manufacturer obeyed the standard. Better use a multimeter in Ohm range and measure.
Since your camera has mono output only, you can connect the red wire to both left and right of the connector's cable, black to ground.