Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repairing Cummins Marine alarm board

I mistakenly hooked by battery cables up backwards on my Cummins marine diesel engine and 1 particular component on the alarm board of the dash panel started smoking....I disconnected a wire ( purple wire to right of component) to that board and it stopped smoking and am still using the engine but now have no audible alarm for over heat and low oil. The alarm board i's over 500 dollars to replace. Can mine be repaired by removing and resoldering in the thing that is smoking?2017-05-17 12.32.26.jpg

Perhaps, but trouble is identifying the chip. They are also a pain to unsolder unless you have a special tool or snip it out one pin at a time.
If it's clearly marked on the top you might get lucky. Often manufactures don't id the component to force you to buy another @$500.
If you have a schematic that'd also be a big help. If all it is, is an alarm for heat and low oil we may be able to come up with a workaround. $500 buys a lot of diesel fuel.

Looks like R8 next to it also got beat up. See if you can find a yachtie with the same panel to see if you can find the writing on that chip (if any). Contact board supplier to see if you can buy a replacement chip. You might get lucky.

In any case replace that resistor first (cheap) and give it a try.

Start by simulating the other alarm conditions that the board monitors - I suspect you'll have lost a lot more than just those two alarm functions.......

Then disconnect the board (mark the location of all the connectors etc to facilitate CORRECT replacement) and then post larger, brighter, more detailed pictures of the front and rear of the board.

Fortunately the board looks to be using bog standard components (and I know Cummins gear) so obscure parts are unlikely to be found therefore we're probably quite likely to offer a successful fix.