Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Recycling a mobile phone (and it's parts)

I have an old mobile phone (Motorola W375) that I couldn't sell for a good price, so I'm trying to find a use to it. So my question is, are there any parts of a mobile phone that I can successfully use in not too complex electronic projects? Like, for example, can I reuse the LCD to display something static without needing complex microprocessors or programmable chips? The examples could go on with the video/photo camera, microphone (of course I could easily use this one), battery etc.

I just want to know if it's worth tearing it into pieces or if I'd better donate it to someone or something.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
There are some mobile phones where the LCD can be reused. Try googling. The other component you may be able to reuse is the battery, but you're going to have to know how to charge it. If the phone is working and has an interface that is published you may be able to use it for remote control applications or computerised sending of SMS messages.

If it's still working, donating it to someone who can use it is perhaps the best re-use that you can put it to.

There may be mobile phone recycling options too. These tend to result in destruction of the phone and recovery of metals etc. in a way that hopefully keeps them out of the environment.