Maker Pro

recreating the wheel... or a 3d printer

donkey submitted a new Showcase Item:

recreating the wheel... or a 3d printer

ok for my big project log,
the design phase is the start. standard 3d printers are becoming more and more user friendly. there are still some issues though.
first and foremost is that most work inside itself. so technically the idea is that it can only print inside a certain area. take the UP mini. its pretty cheap at $600 but if you want to build the Eifel tower there is the issue of "plastic welding" parts together. not what I would call a true prototype as I want to click print and walk back later to find a complete item.
I then thought of adding a mechanical arm to do the work for me. couple of issues there with programming and aligning etc.
so I thought "why not just make a robotic arm that can print"
knuckle-booms-diesel-hire

I was at work and saw a knuckle boom or cherry picker and thought this could do quite a large area. stability is the issue here. also the placement of the forearms leaves a bit to be desired.
the arm is able to extend out increasing build size.
so now I have to work on several areas, stability, rework the armature, redesign a print head to accommodate and lastly is have the item be able to self home.
the advantages to a machine of this type includes
  • using a claw like end will allow multiple "heads." you could technically add scanner, painter and possibly a cnc type item
  • with different heads it could technically do a complete build from a cad type file
  • due to arm being able to extend it can print quite big up, even able to print itself up to twice its original size
  • with the ability to print itself you could technically make a production line for home made production lines.
  • lastly if you give it an artificial intelligence you could technically have an iRobot type scenario.... wait...
when I get something close to a cad file completed I will ensure pics are uploaded. then comes first build and fine tuning.

just saw this too so I know its possible
http://3dprint.com/52978/robotic-arm-3d-printer/

Read more about this showcase item here...

ok so the cad is looking better and better. the issue has been trying to find a coder to take on the project. so in September I take 2 weeks off and start putting pieces together to try and get it remote controlled. Several people are of the believe that when its moving we will be able to get a coder quicker.
now I have to sit down and figure out a parts list including the awesome slipring connectors that @davenn linked me too.
have to find motors that will carry the load, finalise connectors (I am still going with 24v, 12v 5v, gnd, data1, data 2 and if possible 1 more) then there is housing and controllers.
lastly there is a self home function I am working on that will enable the arm to be able to tell itself how far everything is. I have been debating about printing some posts that it can manipulate and then you measure the distance, until I can find a way for it to self measure that distance off course. I really do feel sorry for the coder.

another thing I was working on was USB connectivity at the end. this now limits me to 5metres of chord.
I will also be looking at mini SD cards to store data in each micro and as a way of sustaining data integrity.
I have a few people on board from Cadders, to electronics minded. a few metal workers. and I may have peaked the interest of 2 coders. all I have to do now is get a shonkey prototype going and improve on it

@davenn when its going if you are in briz I would love to have you over and show you what the end game is. This might even go on kickstarter if we get it right.

ok so I stopped putting up the plans due to secrecy.
am looking at USB connectors now. also looking for a slipring connector to take a few extra amps to be sure it holds it all

ok so the 2 weeks I have off to start this project has commenced. I have already stuffed up sizing majorly. also I have found I need a better workshop. more tools... but it progresses. secondhand parts and a lot of glue has the prototype together so far.