Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Reading the Programming on a Chip?

Hey guys,

Im wondering if it is possible to read what program is written on a usb computer chip? I ordered a chip off of the net that converts a game controller into USB (so im not sure which type of chip it is, but i know its a one time flash type of chip) and am wondering if there is a way to read the code of the program on the chip. I found out the chip is "PIC16C745 28 pin USB microcontroller"

I'm just interested in seeing how the chip works and how its programmed. I have done re-flashing of some types of firmware where you need to get it into a 'debug' type of mode; is this what needs to be done with an already flashed once-flash chip? I am very new to programmable chips so Im not too sure which information to give out. I hope this is enough information to get started. Thanks for the comments/advice in advance!

Last edited:
Well the pic's can have read back protection set so you can read back the contents of the firmware.
And if they don't you can read back the firmware into a hex file, but this is not going to be any use in seeing how the device works, it will just allow you to program other chips.