Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Public Signaling

Hi group,

I want to build a remote digital signalling device to use inside public buildings. All it's supposed to do were to trigger a remote LED and make it light up until reset. I understand the FCC has allotted public space that can be used by anyone. After a period of seconds, or less, it won't need to be used again anytime soon.

Does anyone have any experience in this area or advice on how to select a channel frequency? I'm thinking of clocking in the trigger code in slow steps so that it isn't likely possible to produce any problematic interference.

Range will be the question of what free public channel space reserves for anyone to use without license.

Various frequencies are designated as ISM (industry, science and medical) which are the ones likely to be legal for your application. Would a repurposed and slightly modified inexpensive wireless doorbell system work?

inside public buildings
This could be problematic given signal attenuation.

What size building? What form of construction?

You may need multiple antennas and/or signalling positions.

Suggest you purchase a pair of PMR walkie talkies and see how well (if at all) they work in the areas you plan to use the signalling in. You can get PMR with digital calling so could even adapt them (on receive) to activate an external LED.