Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Problem - Tuner amp AKAI AA 1175

Sir mike1856 . . . .

Indeed . . . you have found the Speaker cut out relay . . .our item of interest.

upload_2017-12-19_7-38-38.png

This unit may not be exactly like yours but you can see the marked on connections of interest.
This unit needs 24VDC to be at the GREEN pair of terminals in order to close connections between the marked

Right amp output contact to the Right speaker contact
and simultaneously, the
Left amp output contact to the Left speaker contact

Then the unit has connection from amp to speakers.
Unless the overload circuitry keeps that relay coil from activating.

If you place DC metering at its 50VDC range . .or greater . . . and ground your black negative meter lead to the metal chassis.
Then the application of the red meter lead to the GREEN terminals should show 20-24 VDC being there after turning on the power of the amp.
Then you can try the red and black meter probes across the two green terminals to see if 20-24 volts across them results after turn on . . .wait a full 15 seconds to confirm.
If the relay clicks in and then out,
Leave the unit on and move the black lead to metal chassis ground, Place the red meter lead to each of the 4 other terminals on the relay to see if there is any DC voltage on them . . . .as low as 2 VDC being on them could be related to the units problem.

73's de Edd

Is your meter like this generic one?
If not, google "RAPITEST Multimeter" and look for it in the images search ,then link to it.

You can learn how to use a basic DMM here ,
concentrate on voltage measurements and ohm/diode/continuity.

For more in-depth look here
Multimeter is exactly the same except the picture you posted seems to have a green face and mine is black. The issue I have now is the multimeter will not switch on so I guess it needs a battery, will have to go shopping. Nearest shop is about 15 miles away but should be able to go tomorrow. Had a look at the instruction manual and I think I will be able to get the hang of it. Mike

Sir mike1856 . . . .

Indeed . . . you have found the Speaker cut out relay . . .our item of interest.

View attachment 37997

This unit may not be exactly like yours but you can see the marked on connections of interest.
This unit needs 24VDC to be at the GREEN pair of terminals in order to close connections between the marked

Right amp output contact to the Right speaker contact
and simultaneously, the
Left amp output contact to the Left speaker contact

Then the unit has connection from amp to speakers.
Unless the overload circuitry keeps that relay coil from activating.

If you place DC metering at its 50VDC range . .or greater . . . and ground your black negative meter lead to the metal chassis.
Then the application of the red meter lead to the GREEN terminals should show 20-24 VDC being there after turning on the power of the amp.
Then you can try the red and black meter probes across the two green terminals to see if 20-24 volts across them results after turn on . . .wait a full 15 seconds to confirm.
If the relay clicks in and then out,
Leave the unit on and move the black lead to metal chassis ground, Place the red meter lead to each of the 4 other terminals on the relay to see if there is any DC voltage on them . . . .as low as 2 VDC being on them could be related to the units problem.

73's de Edd
Thanks de Edd, I have just googled "Omron type MY4 02 US 40l DC 24" and have found some good images of my relay. It seems to have 14 terminals but I have been unable to determine which are which. Hoping the penny will drop by the time I get my multimeter working. Mike

Yes ,that should be a 9V battery.
Better open it up before you go,in case there is an old leaking battery inside...

Yes ,that should be a 9V battery.
Better open it up before you go,in case there is an old leaking battery inside...
Just want to thank Edd and Dorke for your advice and to let you know I have now found a local repairer of this type of equipment and it is now in his capable hands. Mike