Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Printer for PCB Toner Transfer

Hi everyone,
Can anyone recommend a good, currently available, < $200, laser printer for PCB toner transfer.
I bought a Brother printer some time ago only to find out later that they do not do the job (something to do with the type of toner).
There are apparently some other makes and models that also do not work.
I found the attached list of "Problem Printers" on a PCB website.
Some people have older printers that work well, but I am looking for one that is currently available.

Thanks

pilko.

Attachments

• Bad printers for PCB.jpg
    Bad printers for PCB.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I have had some success with Xerox laser printers, especially a cheap ($40ish) printer, a Fuji Xerox P205B.

I find it requires a higher temperature than older HP printers, but is capable of far finer artwork.

Fish4Fun

So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!
pilko,

I have had moderate success with toner transfer, but in the end I find it time consuming and frustrating. Far too often I spend more time "touching up" and "fixing" than I think the PCB is worth.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I am curious if you or others may have tried direct laser printing to thin (0.007 in) PCB material? I have used Toner-Transfer, Photo-Resist and CNC milling and each has its strengths and weaknesses. There was a great DIY thread on modifying an inkjet printer to directly print resist/mask/silk, but the printer used was ancient. I sure would love to come up with a faster//more accurate prototyping/short production system. I have even considered modifying//building a print head for a small format CNC mill, but there are sooo many variables.

I hope others will chime in with what equipment//methods work well for them! This is a topic I feel is central to both hobbyist and professionals alike, and I don't think anyone is really happy with their current method(s).

Fish

@ Steve,
Thanks for the info.
@ Fish,
Re. printing direct to PCB. I think all you need is a printer that accepts disks in the feed tray. Some other printers come with a CD tray adaptor -- I have an Epson Photo 1400 that uses an adapter. I looked into using it but apparently you need special ink, which I could not find at the time.