Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Powering 0402 smd LEDs

Actually it's 2025 not 3025, my mistake, and there will be 2 of them and I did chose them for size as they have to fit into a small space.

The battery cells are so small that if a few LEDs are turned on together then you will see them dimming as the battery cells quickly die.
They are designed for much less current than your LEDs will use, unless the LEDs are very dim.

A dim little tea light uses a much thicker CD2032 battery cell and its battery lasts for 70 to 100 hours.

Two series CR2032 batteries will last about 1.5 times longer than two series CR2025 batteries.
Use Name-Brand batteries, not the cheeep junk sold in The Dollar Store.

Harald Kapp

So if I put a different resistor on each led, can I achieve equal brightness? Some of the leds have a forward voltage of 2.2 and some 3.2 so is this possible.
Brightness of an LED depends on the color and the specific construction of the LED and also on your perception of intensity vs. color. If you want to match brightness, you'll have to experiment with different resistors to.
OK, the holder I have will take 2 2032 batteries would that be ok?
A series connection will barely help in prolonging the on time: 2 batteries in series will require a higher series resistance to limit the current through the LEDs. Thus the higher voltage from 2 batteries in series will drop across the series resistor and the energy will be dissipated as heat. The current through the LEDs will be the same as for a single battery and lower series resistance. The batteries will be drained at the same speed. The only advantage is that due to the higher initial voltage it will take longer for the LEDS to fade gradually to dark.
A coarse calculation of battery life can be done this way:

A = battery capacity in mAh (CR2032: ~210 mAh) --- note that the capacity of 2 batteries is the same as for a single battery (same mAh) at twice the voltage, thus the effect I explained above
E = battery efficiency (typically around 80 %)
I = total LED current (5 LEDs at 5 mA each -> 25 mA)
T = useable uptime of the battery
T = (A × E) / I = (210 mAh × 0.8) / 25 mA = 6,7 h (approximately)

If you need a longer duration, go for batteries with more capacity.

Hi, the trouble is space, I only have a small area to put the batteries in and it's going to be a lot tighter now I have to wire in some resistors. As I said battery life isn't the issue as the leds will only be on for a few seconds at a time and not that often, it's getting all the lights on and roughly the same brightness.

Hi, I'm using 0402 smds got some resistors on their way, be interesting to see if I can soldering that small, old eyes.

old eyes.
My eyes are 75 years old and about 10 years ago I was completely blinded with cataracts. So an eye doctor removed the cloudy lenses inside my eyes and put in new synthetic lenses to make my vision better than new. I could see perfectly the day after the fix.
Almost the same thing about my heart attack. My heart was fixed and I am strong, young and new again.

So far I've got the 0402 leds in place and I've got some resistors but I have no idea how to wire this lot up. There are 5 leds of various values and I want to light them at the same time. Do I wire in series, parallel or does each light need it's own power supply? As I said earlier I would like to use 2 x2032 cells in series to power this lot as I haven't got a lot of room. If anyone can come up with a wiring diagram I would be very grateful.

bertus

Hello,

Just another question.
How will the leds be arranged?
Inline, circle or bow?
Could you make a sketch?
Then we can likely make suggestions how to mount them.

Bertus

bertus

Hello,

Under the replybox, you will find a button with "Upload a File" on it.
With that button, you can upload photos and PDF's.
The photo should be resized to about 300 kB.
You should be fine then.

Bertus