Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Power output from a mobile phone aux socket

Obviously it has a sufficient output to drive ear buds, but just how large a speaker would it drive? I like the idea of extension speakers but find the quality of bluetooth audio garbage so "hard wired" is the preferred option for me and if I can get away without a built in amp that would be great :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Not exactly going to be "audiophile" then :)

Calling a speaker (or sound system) "audiophile" is like calling a car a "petrol head". Both of these are adjectives that apply generally to people who appreciate them, not that which is appreciated.

32 ohms earbuds are very loud at 0.1W. Then the voltage is 1.8V RMS. The power of 1.8V RMS into an 8 ohm speaker is 0.4W if the current is not too high. The current of 1.8V RMS into 32 ohms is 56mA. 56mA into an 8 ohm speaker is almost nothing at 0.025W. If you hold large 8 ohm speakers directly to your ears then it will sound not loud but not bad.

Ah, but I'm old enough to remember the 3 feet wide "portable" radio cassettes folks carried on their shoulders :)

To be honest Bob I was just toying with making a decent sounding extension speaker. I actually have a Sony job which cost £90 and is not that good. I was trying to keep away from having to power it if necessary but it looks like that is the only option.