Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Please help me identify this burnt piece

That's what I love about this forum!
The OP helps a moderator!
See, we are all the same really...!!

Martin
All the same as in we all have eyes and hands. I'm still working on the beginners books for electronics! :) I'm actually looking into getting my first oscilloscope soon, and I'll probably be searching this forum for relevent information.

Just a guess here, but I think this is a 300w heater. If that's the case, 12awg would work, but I'd go with #10 thhn, thwn or similar 90c rated insulation.
At any rate, you know it doesn't have to be larger than the incoming feed.

You agree about celebrities from the 90s being old? Or about the wattage? Or maybe BOTH? :)

Can you give us the individual ohm readings of each element?
I will if/when I open it. I just realized that the unit is closed with rivets instead of screws, so that'll slow me down some.

But I found some more information from the manufacturer of the heater. I'm pretty sure the model I have has these specs (the manufacturer's page doesn't list anything else): 12V ELECTRIC HEATER WARMER 1,400 BTU

And then I found this page that has a very-similar-looking heater, except that it has 4 heating rods instead of 3: http://dcthermal.com/catalog/sa12-2000 . That's the weakest heater made by that company (listed as 220 watts at 12 volts), yet it has 3674 BTU’s. So I think we can assume that the wattage of the heater I'm working on is lower.

If this heater really is using less power than 220 watts, then how much does that change of our above discussion? Maybe regular wire-nut connections would be fine here? Maybe this power didn't burn up the old silicone connector?

I can test how much current it's drawing once I get it hooked up to a power source, but I'm not at that stage yet because I have to pull some junk out of the insides of the heater, like a wasp's nest.