Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Please help me identify this burnt piece

This piece was connected to the wiring for a small 12 volt heater inside a tractor cab. I'm guessing it's a fuse, but I'm not positive. I can't read the numbers on the back side because there is burnt plastic covering all of the numbers except the first 2, which is "22". The front side only says "3M".

If it is a fuse, is there any way I could go about replacing it, without knowing the exact specs for the fuse?

The 3rd picture is after I pried off the cover that says "3M".
IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1031.JPG
    IMG_1031.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1030.JPG
    IMG_1030.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1034.JPG
    IMG_1034.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 106
Davenn: Thanks a lot! A simple connector was my 2nd guess, but I had the assumption it was a fuse because the person asking me for help with it said it was a fuse. It definitely looks just like the piece in that link you posted.

Tha fios: I haven't discerned yet how many wires were coming out of it, because everything in the area was so burnt up, including with wires melted together.

If it is a simple crimp connector, would you guys guess everything got burned up because of a simple short?

Sorry about all the attached images. I didn't realize they were getting attached, so I ended up posting an external link. The attached images weren't showing up on the preview either.

Hopefully you have a diagram you can follow.
You might be able to cut off the burnt portion of the wires and resplice where that splitter connection was.

Hopefully you have a diagram you can follow.
You might be able to cut off the burnt portion of the wires and resplice where that splitter connection was.
Thanks. I'm guessing it'll be simple to figure out once I cut out the burnt portions. There are 2 devices hooked up to a 12v battery: the heater and the windshield wipers.

I'll probably just use some simple wire nuts with electrical tape over them. The inside of the cab never gets wet.

as in my last post ... I was typing when you posted

DONT use these type of connectors in this situation
This is great info. Thanks.

Since it looks like the connector was the main source of the "explosion", do you think it's more likely that the connector was the cause of the failure? Or is it possible that there just happened to be a short near the connector?

I'll have my 10 cents worth here..
No, it is just a connecter. Likely to be a short a long the line somewhere.
Unless it was completely over loaded. I have never seen one like that for telecom use.

Martin

Use these, with a screw and nut thru the 3 holes. Then insulate with a liberal amount of good quality electrical tape

Screenshot_2015-11-16-15-40-01.png

Last edited by a moderator: