Maker Pro
Maker Pro

pioneer plasma fault PDP-R05G & PDP-505HDG

Hi,

I have a fault with my Pioneer plasma 50" modal # PDP-505HDG which uses a PDP-R05G control box.

The control box flashes a red indicator light and the plasma show's no indication at all. I have pulled the main power board out from the plasma and replaced the blown 10amp fuse.

Re connected the unit up and the fuse has re blown. The green light came on the plasma and when i turned on the control box it blew the fuse again. So still not sure if the box or the TV is at fault.

Has someone else had this problem or know's where i should be looking or has any circuit diagrams to help find the fault.

I would love to try and fix this fault myself with help from the electronic engineers that i work with. There must be a common fault as i notice there are a heap of posts regarding the trap switch but no one lists the faults before they encounter the trap switch issue.

Please help

Regards

David
Perth WA

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Is the 10A fuse in the 240 VAC input? Even if it's not, it is highly suggestive of something fairly significant shorted to earth (or similar).

My first guess would be that the power supply has a large mosfet somewhere that has decided to fail as a short between drain and source.

Have a close look at all the devices attached to heatsinks and see if any of them have any visual appearance of having failed. Absent this, see if any are shorted.

What's your level of experience? Have I used any unfamiliar terms?

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply I'm helping Dave with his TV and these terms are familar to me. The 10A fuse is in-line to the 240VAC input, there also another fuse in series but it was fine (slow blow). We power the board up and nothing happened (the fuse is ok), we were thinking the board may required signals from the control box. We inspected the mosfets - it looks ok. What are your thoughts?

I have seen screens for sale like that but never actually owned one. They do that to keep the size of the actual screen (that you hang on the wall) down and to isolate parts of the circuits from other parts. The Owner's manual should talk about whether they work separately, but at this point, they is no reason to try ... just use them as a set. Try to get to the Setup Menu.