Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Piezo trigger circuit

etzn1c.jpg

The wires on the right are connected to a regular PC keyboard and if shorted they activate the letter "K" on the keyboard. The circle on the left is a piezo transducer (also known as pickup for guitars etc...) and I suppose you know what it does :)

The question is, how do I put this things together so when the piezo is active (in case of hitting, vibrations...) it closes the circuit and the key "K" is activated. I suppose I need some kind of amplifier cause the piezo alone generates very weak signals.

I am not skilled in electronics, besides basic soldering and understanding, so I guess I'm gonna need you to draw me a full scheme so I can build this.

Help would be much appreciated.

Neurotic

Fish4Fun

So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!
Hey Neurotic! Welcome to EP!

The biggest problem is that a PC key board is a "Matrix" that is constantly "scanned by Row & Column".....any given key's state is decoded based on it's "address" within the matrix.....in short, you aren't going to get this to work THIS way....If you truly want to achieve a "sound" when the "K" is pressed the best approach would be to write a "key logging program" that outputs a "beep" on the system speaker when the "K" is pressed.....if need be you could replace the system speaker with your piezo....or you could use a comm port it there is one available...if not, then you could use a USB to COM interface and simply connect the piezo to +3.3V or +5V and the IO_Out line...then your program could simply send a series of data packets to the Comm port when the "K" was pressed.....

Good Luck!

Fish

You could get something like this running pretty quickly through software with a very simple program that allows you to customize a 'hotkey'
Take a look at AutoHotkey, as this program allows you to make scripts or executables that run based on keyboard/mouse/joystick input. (Not suitable for 'key-logging' as it will only look for pre-determined key combinations and will not record keystrokes. This is a good thing!)

You could also put a little more brain into it and program a small microcontroller to sniff the USB transmissions from the keyboard for the 'K' key. This would operate on any OS, as the microcontroller would take care of it for you.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
AFAIK he wants to simulate pressing the letter K when the piezo detects vibration. This could be done by hacking a reed relay contact across the pushbutton contacts for the K key on the keyboard. But the criteria for activating the relay are not clearly defined.

Fish4Fun

So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!
oh.....so my dyslexia has now crept into entire paragraphs....it is no longer just a dog/god problem :-(

Fish

I want the keyboard key "K" to be triggered as soon as the piezo detects vibration. A collaboration between the piezo transducer and a dismantled PC keyboard :) It is for a non-velocity drum machine using PC, regular pc keyboard and software. I think I'll be going with optocoupler, similar like below:
63540.jpg