Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Piezo sensors/ tranducers

So I want to assemble my own pickup for my instrument. But I was wondering if piezo sensors can be stereo? I would probably need to have more than one piezo sensor to hooked up to the quarter inch jack for it to be stereo, right? Also, where can I get a good quality, wide bandwith piezo sensor? Thanks!

hello,

I remember having fun with drums based on a piezo buzzer acting as a sensor. I doubt it can be stereo due to the needed surface too have usable level. By the way I remember the need for a high gain amplifier stage (something in the 10.000 range).

have fun,
Olivier

Hi, if I remember well piezo pick-ups are based on coils which is different from sensors I talks about as they are build with 2 parallel plates. Do you want to build drum or guitar "sensors" ?

Olivier

Transducers

This actually pertains to the thread I posted earlier. But where can I find a wide bandwidth transducer for my instrument? Do they make transducers that pick up all frequencies between 100Hz and 2kHz...? If so where can I find one? Thanks!

davenn

I wanted to assemble one for my acoustic guitar

Kind of like this
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=guit...rt=15&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:15&tx=63&ty=62

I have seen piezo pick ups used for a variety of instruments but I was just wondering if it could be stereo? or if I had to use more than 1...? Also, where could I get some that are pretty good quality?

from the pic on that site I doubt its stereo. Reading down the page stereo pickups are rather complex devices with multiple coils, at least one coil for each string. Some units have each string coil coming to a separate output.

Dave

thanks, I had another quick question after lookin up some things. What does the frequency specification on this page mean? http://search.digikey.com/us/en/cat/audio-products/buzzer-elements-piezo-benders/721679?k=piezo Does it mean it only picks up that frequency? I am not quite understanding..... Or is this even exactly what I need? Here is the page before has this with all the different categories.
Exactly which category should I be looking under? Vibration? Buzzer elements? Need help.

Audio Products
Buzzer Elements, Piezo Benders (56 items)
Buzzers (1,243 items)
Microphones (6 items)
Sirens (4 items)
Speakers (8 items)
Integrated Circuits (ICs)
Linear - Amplifiers - Audio (3 items)
PMIC - Motor and Fan Controllers, Drivers (14 items)
PMIC - Power Management - Specialized (2 items)
Kits
Audio (1 items)
Programmers, Development Systems
Eval and Demo Boards and Kits (2 items)
Eval Boards - Sensors (1 items)
Sensors, Transducers
Accelerometers (6 items)
Accessories (2 items)
Magnetic - Position, Proximity, Speed (Modules) (12 items)
Shock (2 items)
Vibration (13 items)
Switches
Keypads (9 items)
Pushbutton (101 items)
Test and Measurement
Specialized Test Equipment (1 items)
Transformers
Specialty (3 items)

The Digikey reference describes piezo buzzers, not pick-ups.

The piezo effect is due to a voltage developed across a cystal when it is deformed (pick-up), or a voltage placed across a crystal will deform it (buzzer).

Piezo pick-ups have no coils.

Why do you want a stereo pick-up? Why not use two mono pick-ups?

well I was just wonderin why some people use stereo, but Im not intending on bothering with it. So where can I get piezo pickups that are not already assembled? I just want the transducer...