Maker Pro
Maker Pro

parallel led array

hi fellas this is my first post i am wishing to build an IR Illuminator for ghost hunting i want to make it from 3 5w high power ir led and wire it in a parallel led array so each led gets same power i worked out if i run them of a 3.7 volt battery i would need to add a 2.7 ohm resistor to each led so not to over power the led thing is i am only getting around one and half hours continuous use so what would i need to do to run same set up of two 3.7 battery's any help please fellas ?

hi fellas this is my first post i am wishing to build an IR Illuminator for ghost hunting i want to make it from 3 5w high power ir led and wire it in a parallel led array so each led gets same power i worked out if i run them of a 3.7 volt battery i would need to add a 2.7 ohm resistor to each led so not to over power the led thing is i am only getting around one and half hours continuous use so what would i need to do to run same set up of two 3.7 battery's any help please fellas ?
Sounds like you know what you are doing... you scared me when you said parallel LEDs, but you are actually using a resistor on each one. Thanks! That gets missed by a LOT of people.
As far as running with two batteries, simply connect the two batteries in parallel and your light should last twice as long!

*Special Note : When you connect two unbalanced batteries in Parallel, you run the risk of causing current to flow between batteries. Never connect a fully charged battery in parallel with a used battery!
The battery with the higher voltage will actually cause current to flow backwards through the battery with a lower voltage. So either connect them when they are both freshly charged, or when they are dead. You can always use a multi-meter to confirm the voltage is the same prior to connecting them.

hi thank you for your help the new battery holder olds two battery's not sure I understand wire the two battery's in parallel do you have a pic sorry for being so dum

its ok I see what you mean two single battery holders + soldered + - soldered to - with just a single wire from both battery's + and - is that right ?

Sounds like you know what you are doing... you scared me when you said parallel LEDs, but you are actually using a resistor on each one. Thanks! That gets missed by a LOT of people.
As far as running with two batteries, simply connect the two batteries in parallel and your light should last twice as long!

*Special Note : When you connect two unbalanced batteries in Parallel, you run the risk of causing current to flow between batteries. Never connect a fully charged battery in parallel with a used battery!
The battery with the higher voltage will actually cause current to flow backwards through the battery with a lower voltage. So either connect them when they are both freshly charged, or when they are dead. You can always use a multi-meter to confirm the voltage is the same prior to connecting them.

A solution for that problem is using Schottky diodes like this:
The diode will drop about 0.3V(typ.),should be fine with a 3.7V bat. and IR led.
BAT-BALANCE.JPG

GHOST HUNTING ???
Do post a pic if you catch one...:eek:

Anyways,
as per my post above a good choice would be this diode:
PMEG3050EP
If you have the Battery and LEDs datasheets post them here.

its ok I see what you mean two single battery holders + soldered + - soldered to - with just a single wire from both battery's + and - is that right ?
Absolutely, but dorke posted a safer solution that wont require you having to balance your batteries before hand

GHOST HUNTING ???
Do post a pic if you catch one...:eek:

Anyways,
as per my post above a good choice would be this diode:
PMEG3050EP
If you have the Battery and LEDs datasheets post them here.
hi led data
Emitted Color : Infrared IR 850nm 5w
Viewing Angle: 135 degrees
DC Forward Voltage (VF): 1.4V
DC Forward Current (IF): 1400mA
Maximum Pulse Voltage: 1.7V
Maximum Pulse Current: 2000mA
battery data GTL 18650 3.7v Li-ion Rechargeable Battery 5300mAh

would I need a diode on each + wire and what size would I need to get thank you so much for your time and help

yes, you need 2 diodes on each + wire, as shown in the #5
the diode is PMEG3050EP here is it's data sheet:
http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/PMEG3050EP.pdf

So,
you are running your LEDs at about 0.85A each for a total of about 2.5A.

Your battery isn't very promising...
see here(test of a GTL 2600mAh):

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?255943-GTL-18650-Battery-Test-Updated

http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/PMEG3050EP.pdf
And,please watch the following video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbaSAyqhzxc

seems that make of battery are not very good were can I buy the diode I need please many thanks for your time and help

Basically you cannot drive high power LEDs from a 3.7v battery and include a diode and current-limiting resistor.

You do not have enough head-room - any ghost buster will tell you that.

Basically you cannot drive high power LEDs from a 3.7v battery and include a diode and current-limiting resistor.

You do not have enough head-room - any ghost buster will tell you that.

Colin,
Where does your bullshit come from...? :mad:
Please,check yourself before you post,