Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Orion TV4200HD - No power.

Why did you think those capacitors were faulty?

Do you have pictures?

When I tested them using my digital multimeter on the ohms setting they showed an open circuit as though nothing was in between the probes. Everything else on the board gave me a reading. Did i do it wrong? As you can see I'm not an expert hahaha. Hence me asking so many questions :)

I'll get pictures tomorrow. *photos now added

Attachments

• blue_cap.jpg
    blue_cap.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 143
  • capacitor2.jpg
    capacitor2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I'm not sure what's going on as I've just tested the ic's again on the buffer boards. This time the lower board ic's are fine. It is the 6 ic's on the upper buffer board. I set my multimeter in 'diode' setting as shown on a YouTube video. Lower board gave me readings through out. Upper gave me very infrequent readings. I've already ordered 12 so looks like I have 6 spare now hahaha!!! But not to worry as its a learning curve for me and luckily not too expensive.

davenn

When I tested them using my digital multimeter on the ohms setting they showed an open circuit as though nothing was in between the probes. Everything else on the board gave me a reading. Did i do it wrong? As you can see I'm not an expert hahaha. Hence me asking so many questions :)

I'll get pictures tomorrow. *photos now added

capacitors will show open connection there is NO physical internal connection

Dave

If I put a small current through the capacitor, what reading should I get?
I get a voltage reading getting lower and lower. Is that good or bad?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

If I put a small current through the capacitor, what reading should I get?
I get a voltage reading getting lower and lower. Is that good or bad?
Thanks.

current DOESNT flow through a capacitor, see my post previous to this comment of yours

cheers
Dave

current DOESNT flow through a capacitor, see my post previous to this comment of yours

cheers
Dave

Maybe I'm typing the wrong words to explain what I'm trying to ask. I looked around and found this,

'When you apply a D.C Voltage in parallel with capacitor , a potential difference is applied across the plates of the capacitor, due to this potential difference , the electron start moving towards hgher potential, this is how the current starts flowing throught the capacitor. Whenever you think about current , think about the movement of electrons.

Further, as current through starts increasing , the electric field developed which stops further accumulation of electrons. Therefore the current keeps on decreasing in the circuit while charge resting on the plates starts increasing . The charge accumulation increases exponentially and attains an equilibrium situation at infinity time.'

Anyhow it doesn't really point me in the right direction. But I think I understand now. The only way to test a capacitor is to use a capacitor tester/meter.

My last few questions. Do you always have to take out the capacitors out of the circuit or can you test while it is in?

And last, how would you test a capacitor?

davenn

Maybe I'm typing the wrong words to explain what I'm trying to ask. I looked around and found this, 'When you apply a D.C Voltage in parallel with capacitor , a potential difference is applied across the plates of the capacitor, due to this potential difference , the electron start moving towards hgher potential, this is how the current starts flowing throught the capacitor. Whenever you think about current , think about the movement of electrons.

You get a build up of positive and negative charges on the respective plates of the cap
Current is still NOT flowing THROUGH the cap.

Further, as current through starts increasing , the electric field developed which stops further accumulation of electrons. Therefore the current keeps on decreasing in the circuit while charge resting on the plates starts increasing . The charge accumulation increases exponentially and attains an equilibrium situation at infinity time.'

Anyhow it doesn't really point me in the right direction. But I think I understand now. The only way to test a capacitor is to use a capacitor tester/meter.
My last few questions. Do you always have to take out the capacitors out of the circuit or can you test while it is in?
And last, how would you test a capacitor?

it is preferable to remove the cap from circuit so that other components dont affect the reading, in general the same applies to resistors and semi's ---diodes and transistors

Personally, I use a capacitance meter, it gives me a believable value taking the tolerance of the cap and the meter into account

Dave