Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Old Electronic components

Just browsing gumtree looking for bargains and i noticed this, what caught my eye was germanium bin...

Anything of any real value in that photo?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-05-20-10-28.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-05-20-10-28.png
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 114

Harald Kapp

Anything of any real value in that photo?
Not without knowing whats in the boxes.
Probably nothing with real value apart from some collector's value

Germanium transistors I'd consider a curiosity today. Those were the first on the market and for some time the only ones suizable for higher frequencies - until silicon transistors caught up, that is.

Another annoying thing to consider is that a lot of the early germanium transistors came unmarked.
At the time I think the manufacturers just assumed there were only going to be a few devices made of so few available transistors.
They turned them out, packaged them together with the part number written on the bag, and left the individual devices unmarked because it was extra work.
I suppose most of the old devices are collector-type items like Harald said, it just annoys me that I have so many of them saved from the 'old days', and
they are without individual part numbers stamped on them. Once in a while somebody will dig-up an old hobby schematic and ask me if I know where
they can get the early transistors. I probably have what they need, but don't want to spend my 'extra time' running them through a curve tracer to ID them.
There were so few early germanium transistors made, that a lot of hobby circuits were generated that could use any one of the three or four of the closest matches, and
still work. I have old bags of Olsen Electronics germanium transistors that will generically say 'Equivalent to', and then list 4 or 5 transistor part numbers, with no part
numbers stamped on the individual transistors.
One other thing: Some of those early transistors were made FOR some specific use by a radio manufacturer. So the transistor manufacturer would stamp the transistor with an identifier for the
radio manfacturer's use only during assembly. Like 'A1' or '4', or something that the radio manufacturer
used to ID the part for their assemblers. That identifier is useless to anybody except the guy who put
the radio assembly together.

Last edited:
Germanium transistors have a lot of inferior characteristics compared to silicon. First the beta (hfe) is highly variable from piece to piece, they have a lot of junction leakage, high temperatures cause major beta shifts that can result in thermal runaway in power circuits.

The only advantage over silicon is the lower forward conduction voltage. A germanium transistor can work at 0.5vdc, a silicon can't.

I can't help but submit that germanium devices are used (along with other new substrates) in 'hardened' military & satellite electronics designed to withstand electro mechanical pulse and solar events.
There is a place for both silicon and germanium in electronics. Each has advantages over the other for specific applications.