Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Nube needs help with a motor PCB

Hi all I was hoping someone here maybe able to help me out-
Ok so here is the story I have a Mazda RX8 which I love but when I bought it I didnt get the built in sat nave which is a motorised pop up screen so I have hunted around and managed to get one but the problem is the guy who had it before has done a bit of modding changing the screen to a 7 inch touch pc screen and in doing so trashed the control pcb for the motor (he chucked it before anyone asks)
So I was hoping no praying that someone here can advise me on how to knock one up all it needs to do is open and shut via a button but it will have to know when to stop driving it open and shut aswell.
I should warn all my electronics knowledge is extremely limited but I am quite handy with a solder iron.
So if anyone can help please please do.

Attachments

• satnav.jpg
    satnav.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 182
I'm new on this site - so maybe I'm not the best person to be the first to offer an opinion - but this project sounds a bit more complex than what I would recommend for someone with the skill level you describe. If you are determined to fiddle with it - I would recommend you either find the original parts and replace them - or stick with a mechanical solution - a spring and catch, or loaded pneumatic shock, etc. Good luck!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
If the motor and drive are still in place, you may be able to construct something, but it's certainly not a trivial exercise.

Often things like this will have small switches at the end of the travel to stop the motor. Because things can get jammed, the controller also often monitors the motor current and cuts the motor when the current rises above some set point. In many cases, the limit switches are dispensed with and the motor overload is used to signal the end of the travel.

You need to determine if the motor is still intact and working, and whether or not there are limit switches. Then you need to determine what the normal operating current is.

After you've done that, you can start designing a circuit to operate the screen.

Then you'll have to make a printed circuit board and build the device. There may be limited space available for the PCB, and that will be a design consideration too.

Had a hunt around and somone has had the same problem and posted this diagram so I was wondering if it looks right thats if you can tell from a diagram.

Attachments

• pcb.jpg
    pcb.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 206
It looks like it could work for your application but it won't know when to stop by itself. The 150 ohm resistor will prevent it from jamming though.
Pushing "tilt" will make it close and pushing "open" will make it open - as long as you keep pushing.

Is there a way of getting it to open with one push and the same with closing or is that complicated stuff.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
It depends on your experience as to how complex it appears...

As a rough guess, you may be looking at something that is 4 or 5 times more complex than the circuit you suggested. Is that complex?

Then again, there may be a 1-chip solution, but the chip may be made of unobtanium (something I'm sure you're familiar with given the colour of your face:))