Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Log in after a day or two at times, get distracted, home stuff etc, so not clicked new posts yet, ok come back to the pc after 15 minutes or so, click new posts and there is only one showing.

So whats going on, because when i go in to the forum sub section, general / project / circuit help / etc etc there is new threads every where, has little space men removed them ? very strange goings on.

If i log in, go straight to new posts after having not been on the site some time low and behold all new threads and posts pop up, ive monitored this pattern for a while now, any EXPERTS know WHY ?

PS. what i am saying is why are there new posts if you click straight on it after log in, and next to none if you walk the dog or wonder off for 10 minutes or so. :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I believe that once it has shown you the new posts, they're no longer new for you, so shortly thereafter it stops showing them to you.

Try quick links | todays posts

Alternatively, open the "new posts", then open the threads each in a new tab or window (hard for mobile users though)

Thanks for the tip's Steve, but if you've read my opening post closely i think you've missed the point.

There are no new posts even seconds after logging in if i delay clicking new posts for the first time in a new session, but if i dont delay clicking new posts / threads are there.

Anyway thanks for the tip's again, this will be useful in the future, should i get tied up or distracted for 10 - 15 minutes or so. :)

Your cookies are updating probably in 15 minutes which is changing your last login time, so now threads older then that time will not be displayed as "NEW"

This as far as I know needs to change at the code level. Personally I could go for a longer time period, I have had it happen to me when I spend a long time reading threads.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I thought I understood <shrug>

Have you ever seen this text?

The threads below have not been updated since your last visit or since forums have been marked read.

It appears for me in a location that tells me what posts were new previously.
Does your browser allow you to have more than one page open at once -- that's the best soluton to the problem.

Ian

Administrator
Yes, the timeout is set to about 15 mins on here so it would mark all threads as read if the session is discontinued within that time. It's not ideal, but there are performance issues if I change the timeout or marking system - so that would only be a last resort to change it.

The "posts in last 24h" link that Steve posted is pretty useful if things do timeout :). What I often do is click the new threads button and then open each one I'm reading in a new tab.

I guess one way is to use the "Get new posts" link in the upper right corner. As long as you keep pressing the back button it shouldn't refresh the page which means nothing will update, giving you as long as you want to read the threads.

I like steves way to. Maybe we can get steves link to be next to the "get new posts" link in the upper right?

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I have this link bookmarked.

Note that you have to copy that link to a bookmark as it is redirected to something that is not useful to bookmark.

Hi all.
Yes Steve i have seen the message posts marked, after clicking new posts and returning to that link a second time in a session, thanks Ian for the explanation, that clears it up for me, as if i am called away from the pc its normally for about that time lapse or more, so all clear, yes Jackorocko i understand the cookies functions, thanks all. :)