Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need to create a 5V clock signal

Hello, I'm needing to make a 5V clock signal every second or so. I can't seem to find a clock IC that outputs a 5V signal. Should I use a uC or is there an IC that I can use?

Another good method is to count pulses of AC from the mains. This method has the advantage of great long-term stability, since mains frequency is very closely controlled. Usually a 'count to 50 (or 60) and then reset counter to zero' technique is used.

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to try the 7555 timer for low power consumption. Also. I can't use the AC mains because this circuit will be off the grid.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
7555 is also a good choice as its output swings closer to the supply rails (which is important if you have a 5V supply and want a 5V logic signal).

Note that it can't drive anywhere near as much current into a load as a 555 can. This doesn't sound like it will be an issue as I assume you're driving logic. (Hmmm, maybe not a good assumption...)

Hack a 1.5V battery desk or wall clock. Diode-OR the coil outputs and drive an NPN transistor to boost the signal to 5V. Small size, low power consumption, and very accurate.

Ken

Attachments

• 1 Second Clock.gif
    1 Second Clock.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 482
Wow. That's practical! Can I suggest a little transformer instead of the transistor? I don't mean to say it's a better idea, but depending on circumstances...

Last edited:
Yes I have a 5V supply and I'm driving logic so I need a 5V logic signal. Also I want the duty cycle to be 50%. How would I change the duty cycle in KMoffett's design?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
To get a 50% duty cycle you could extend the pulses using a monostable. This would not be extremely accurate, but may be close enough.

It all depends on why you need the 1Hz signal and what you're doing with it.

The cmos 4047 can give an approximate 1 pulse/sec with an accurate 50% duty cycle. It does this by running at double frequency and dividing by two. It all depends on what you want.