Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help with oven schematic

I

Ivan Vegvary

Here is a link for the schematic of my old (1985±) Jenn-air wall oven (single).

https://plus.google.com/photos/1101...01532215842?banner=pwa&authkey=CKTEiNy-2YCkMw

Please note that the BR wire that is cut off at the bottom of the scan, goes to the splice point to the right.

Said oven has been used many times in the "self-clean" mode to clean numerous metal car and motorcycle parts (my wife is wonderful), and frequently all the disassembled parts to my popcorn machine. Said "self-clean" feature no longer works. Here is what is konwn:

Broiler heating element works. Bake heating element works. Oven works fine as an oven and all timer functions work. Thermostat absolutely no longerobtainable, but, as mentioned, temperatures are maintained within a close range (check with remote sensing thermometer)while doing preheat, baking and broiling.

Upon trying the clean cycle, the manual door-lock is prevented from being opened, the oven reaches 580°F (suspiciously close to the 600°F limit switch and 600°F lock) and then suspiciously shuts off, thereby allowing the door to be manually opened.

Can somebody with a good eye trace out this diagram and tell me where I could take voltage or amperage readings to find the 'break' in the circuit. Of course the 975°F limit within the thermostat could be opening too early, and since no longer in production, that is what I would like to rule out.

Also, if somebody could explain the the symbols withing the thermostat. Itappears that the 975° switch is normally closed? while the 600° switchis normally open. What pulls the 600° closed? Is that resistor symbol below, labeled SO, CO and OM, really a coil?

The oven is totally pulled out of the cabinet and all the parts and terminals are accessible. My immediate hope is to (upon advice from group) be able to place a jumper somewhere and get one more cleaning cycle out of this oven.

Thank you all,

Ivan Vegvary

J

Jamie

Ivan said:

https://plus.google.com/photos/1101...01532215842?banner=pwa&authkey=CKTEiNy-2YCkMw

Please note that the BR wire that is cut off at the bottom of the scan, goes to the splice point to the right.

Said oven has been used many times in the "self-clean" mode to clean numerous metal car and motorcycle parts (my wife is wonderful), and frequently all the disassembled parts to my popcorn machine. Said "self-clean" feature no longer works. Here is what is konwn:

Broiler heating element works. Bake heating element works. Oven works fine as an oven and all timer functions work. Thermostat absolutely no longer obtainable, but, as mentioned, temperatures are maintained within a close range (check with remote sensing thermometer)while doing preheat, baking and broiling.

Upon trying the clean cycle, the manual door-lock is prevented from being opened, the oven reaches 580°F (suspiciously close to the 600°F limit switch and 600°F lock) and then suspiciously shuts off, thereby allowing the door to be manually opened.

Can somebody with a good eye trace out this diagram and tell me where I could take voltage or amperage readings to find the 'break' in the circuit. Of course the 975°F limit within the thermostat could be opening too early, and since no longer in production, that is what I would like to rule out.

Also, if somebody could explain the the symbols withing the thermostat. It appears that the 975° switch is normally closed? while the 600° switch is normally open. What pulls the 600° closed? Is that resistor symbol below, labeled SO, CO and OM, really a coil?

The oven is totally pulled out of the cabinet and all the parts and terminals are accessible. My immediate hope is to (upon advice from group) be able to place a jumper somewhere and get one more cleaning cycle out of this oven.

Thank you all,

Ivan Vegvary
Check your timer.. Sounds like it is terminating too early in clean mode.

Jamie

I

Ivan Vegvary

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Check your timer.. Sounds like it is terminating too early in clean mode.

Jamie

Could be, but it times correctly in bake and broil mode. If you are correct, how would I, using jumpers, keep it in clean mode while manually settingan alarm for myself. Typical clean times are 3-4 hours.

Thanks,

J

Jasen Betts

Broiler heating element works. Bake heating element works. Oven works fine as an oven and all timer functions work. Thermostat absolutely no longer obtainable, but, as mentioned, temperatures are maintained within a close range (check with remote sensing thermometer)while doing preheat, baking and broiling.

the only things that can lock the door are not controlled by the timer,
howm is the clean cycle started?

after 600 degrees thermostat switch closes power to the heating
elements can only flow through "latch switch (power)" (which
switch also disables the oven light).
Can somebody with a good eye trace out this diagram and tell me
where I could take voltage or amperage readings to find the 'break' in
the circuit. Of course the 975°F limit within the thermostat could be
opening too early, and since no longer in production, that is what I
would like to rule out.

make a copy an go over it with coloured pens, (you need not match the
wire colours just do the inetsting bits, clean relay. power to the
heating elements, thermostat, switches.
Also, if somebody could explain the the symbols withing the
thermostat. It appears that the 975° switch is normally closed?

yes, if it wan't nothing would work.
while the 600° switch is normally open.

yes, if not you would nt be able to open the door.
What pulls the 600° closed?

umm "600°"
Is that resistor symbol below, labeled SO, CO and OM, really a coil?

probably not, it looks like a potentiometer.
it's connected to the low voltage circuitry ib the timer.

I

Ivan Vegvary

the only things that can lock the door are not controlled by the timer,

howm is the clean cycle started?

after 600 degrees thermostat switch closes power to the heating

elements can only flow through "latch switch (power)" (which

switch also disables the oven light).

make a copy an go over it with coloured pens, (you need not match the

wire colours just do the inetsting bits, clean relay. power to the

heating elements, thermostat, switches.

yes, if it wan't nothing would work.

yes, if not you would nt be able to open the door.

umm "600°"

probably not, it looks like a potentiometer.

it's connected to the low voltage circuitry ib the timer.

--

⚂⚃ 100% natural

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: [email protected] ---

Thanks, Jason Betts,
So, if I jump the 600° thermostat terminals, I will always get currentand the clean cycle should work. Of course doing so would not fix or identify the problem, but it would (one time only) clean the parts waiting in the oven?
Ivan Vegvary

J

Jasen Betts

Thanks, Jason Betts,
So, if I jump the 600° thermostat terminals, I will always get
current and the clean cycle should work. Of course doing so would not
fix or identify the problem, but it would (one time only) clean the
parts waiting in the oven?

it might do, what oven parts are invlved in starting the cleaning cycle?