Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help identifying this Rubicon device

Hello,

I just picked up this vintage Rubicon Company instrument from an antiques shop. I bought it mostly because I just liked the vintage industrial design of it, and it was only $25. I have not been able to find out what exactly it is, but I am very curious. I've attached an image, I'm hoping someone at this forum could provide some history on what this device does.

Thanks,
JC1

Attachments

• Rubicon device.jpg
    Rubicon device.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 237
It seems like it could be a variety of a Wheatstone measuring bridge. It needs a galvanometer and a battery to operate. No model number or anything?
Here's a somewhat similar instrument up for auction in Denmark right now (129th & last hit on Google).

Hello Resqueline,

Thanks for the feedback. Based on what I had found poking around online I had thought that a Wheatstone Bridge was a possibility. I found an image of one very similar to the link you provided. However, since the instument I bought has a different layout and more connection points I was not confident it had the same function.

There is no model number, I believe there is supposed to be a wooden case for the top as well that was missing. Perhaps that is where the model number was stamped.

I did find a link to what looks be be the same model on an expired ebay auction. The seller did not know what it was but also posted some pictures of the interior. I'm not sure if that helps confirm its purpose.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110650433364#ht_1620wt_1141

Thanks,
JC1

I see from the internal pictures that there's nothing in there but fixed, switched, and adjustable resistors. Pretty much like an old-fashioned multimeter would have.
It's therefore likely that it is "just" a Wheatstone bridge, albeit an advanced one. I can't come up with what those "advanced" functions could be however.
It could be possible to glean some more information from just the pictures though, and with the instrument in hand it should be possible to make a full circuit diagram.
From this one would be able to work out most of the capabilities of the instrument.