Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help identifying cable

davenn

I'm trying to fix a pioneer PDR-W739 CD player and there's a cable with a severed wire. I need to know what kind it is. Thanks.

did you cut the wire ? .... it's a clean cut rather than a vibration failure

it is repairable ... do you have side cutters and a soldering iron ?

did you cut the wire ? .... it's a clean cut rather than a vibration failure

it is repairable ... do you have side cutters and a soldering iron ?

What you have is a single conductor from a multi conductor cable. Probably a PVC insulation (very common). Unfortunately to determine the wire gauge you would need to measure the strand diameter and count the number of strands, then the AWG (gauge size) would be easily determined. The real question is not necessarily the type of cable as much as can what you have be repaired . . . The connector appears to be the type where the copper conductor is crimped. Into the barrel of this connector. A simple fix might be to simply add a bit of copper conductor (size . . . Probably #22 AWG) and soft solder it to the specific location and the tack the broken wire to it. The BETTER way would be to remove the connector plastic case to expose the connector and barrel and work from there. The plastic shells are generally one-way pushed is but you should be able to see the holding detente. And release them with a tool such as a dental pick.

davenn

The BETTER way would be to remove the connector plastic case to expose the connector and barrel and work from there. The plastic shells are generally one-way pushed is but you should be able to see the holding detente. And release them with a tool such as a dental pick.

yeah ... it's a real easy repair
I was asking the OP if he had the gear to do it ;)

yeah ... it's a real easy repair
I was asking the OP if he had the gear to do it ;)

Yes, I have the tools. It wasn't me who cut the wire, it was like that when I opened it.

EDIT: Just like to clarify that I bought this CD player from a flea market so somebody else probably opened it before me and messed something up.

davenn

Yes, I have the tools. It wasn't me who cut the wire, it was like that when I opened it.

EDIT: Just like to clarify that I bought this CD player from a flea market so somebody else probably opened it before me and messed something up.

OK

method 1
1) then strip a small bit of the insulation off the end of the wire and tin it with solder and soldering iron

2) trim a little of the plastic away from the connector where that wire goes to the terminal so that the terminal is exposed
tin the end of that terminal with the solder

3) then solder the end of the tinned wire to the end of the terminal where the wire used to crimp to

method 2
you will see in photo 1, above, there is a little plastic flap that holds each terminal in place within the plastic block
that flap can be gently lifted with a fine tipped jewellers screwdriver etc and the metal terminal eased out the way it went in
once the terminal is out, follow steps 1 and 3 in method one

then slide the wired terminal back into the plastic housing till it clicks into place
CAREFULLY NOTE the way it comes out and goes back in ...