Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help finding a replacement transistor?

I have an old remote controlled boat that used to be my grandfathers back in the 80s that I am trying to restore. Everything works great except that the boat will not go in reverse. I opened up the speed controller and found what I believe to be a blown transistor or voltage regulator. Sadly I do not have much knowledge on this subject and need some help. The part in question is towards the bottom of the picture attached. I think it says B828 (maybe B826?) R0E4. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 20150726_134407.jpg

Minder, I do believe that it is some sort of a switch since the part right next to it looks fine and the foward function works. Does it matter that the 2sb828 is rated for 50v when the battery pack is only a 7.5v?

Hellastechn, yeah no problem. There is no rush!

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Minder, I do believe that it is some sort of a switch since the part right next to it looks fine and the foward function works. Does it matter that the 2sb828 is rated for 50v when the battery pack is only a 7.5v?

Hellastechn, yeah no problem. There is no rush!
As long as the transistor is rated for a higher voltage than what you are applying to it (7.5 V in this case), you are good to go.

The part to the right of that 2SB826 looks like a relay.
In this case you should check the diode seen behind the 2SB826.
Driving relays and motors (inductive loads) makes life "miserable" for transistors and they need help/protection.

In general you can replace a part with a different one with equivalent or "better" parameters.
If you can get the same part it is the way to go.
:)