Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Multimeter resistance measuring not working

Hey everyone!!, I just bought a multimeter and it seems that the resistance measuring is broken. It used to work, but now when I measure a 1kOhm resistance, it displays a really small value (a couple Ohms) that increases very slowly. This is the multimeter that I bought:
http://www.xindar.com/xindar-multímetros-y-osciloscopios---db600.031.html

It measures volts perfectly well but it has problems measuring mA as well, it simply doesn't let the current go through and always displays zero.
Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Do things get any better / worse if you wiggle the test leads? you can get breaks in the connections at either end of the leads and even within the wire itself that lead to really erratic behaviour. Also if the meter's ever been dropped with the leads plugged in, the sockets into which the leads plug, might have become cracked especially where they're soldered to the PCB inside.

Low battery can sometimes send multimeters a bit goofy too?

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
The current measurement problem is probably caused by a blown fuse. Yes, even cheap nasty multimeters have fuses on the current ranges!

Have a look inside the multimeter for a cylindrical glass (or possibly ceramic) fuse and see whether you can see the wire inside, and whether it's broken or not.

I wouldn't expect that to affect the resistance range though...

Edit: Oh, and welcome to Electronics Point :)