Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Multi RF controller

Hi

My son has Tomy motorised trains that run off a 1.5v AA or C battery.

I'm getting fed up of stop and starting his trains so I was wondering how easy would it be to Radio control these trains.

What I would like is a control box that can control up to 4 separate trains. I assume they will all run off different frequencies. Each train will have its own receiver.

The train simply require the RF control to disconnect the battery on and off which in turn will turn the motor on / off.

The RF Receiver need to as small as possible and the cost kept to a minimum.

Please help..

Ralphy

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I would consider making him stop and start his own trains.

Adding RC is not a simple proposition, and may cost more than the trains are worth.

A simple option is to replace the on/off control with a button which makes them run for (say) a minute. If the issue is them being left on and the batteries running flat, then this is a good solution. But it does require you are handy with electronics.

Are the trains powered by just a single cell? Or a pack of (say) 4?

Hi

Many thanks for the replies.

The train do run off a single AA or C battery.
Yes, my son does tend to leave the trains running and hence the one /off for a minute is a good option but I think the radio controller version would be better.

I'm tempted to buy cheap RC cars from ebay and to use them but I'm not sure how I would tell which receiver works on which channel. i.e. I don't want to buy RC cars that all work off the same frequency.

Ideally I want a 4 channel transmitter and 4 separate receivers.

How does a RC receiver turn a battery on and off?

Kind regards

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
The main problem is that the receivers will require batteries and if you leave them turned on for too long those batteries will go flat too.

The next problem is finding somewhere to place these devices inside the trains.

Interfacing them to the motors may also be interesting.

Train battery

Hi Ralphy.
The radio control idea is a good one, my son had the same or similar set, i would find Thomas tank engine all over the place one my son realized no need for rails, some times when he had gone of to bed i would hear this faint whirring noise, said to the misses what the hell is that noise, where is it coming from, she said under the sofa or chair, my son forgot to turn him off, not a problem, kids, its all good fun.

The problem as Steve says finding space in the engine, or under the cover, modest RC receivers are not that small, then there is the battery pack, and as Steve said these batterys will go flat, there are micro receivers, but cost and technology of interfacing it is a real challenge, the time delay switch is the best option, or remind your son to turn old Thomas off or he'l get tired, lol. Dave. :)