Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mud Packed VCR tape

I had some items in storage for quite a while. The shed that my stuff was in colapsed and I just found out about it. After pulling out some of my stuff I found a tape that has some family stuff on it that I want to save. Unfortunately the vcr tape found its way into a puddle and is now packed with mud. Is there a way to clean it so that I can watch it again or is it toast? I'm not sure how long its been in the mud but it might have have been as long as 2 years. Thanx for your help. Swizzle

I would use a container of warm water and liquid detergent. Open the cassette and remove the tape, unspool it completely and allow it to soak.until all the debris is soft. Rinse and soak again until the water is clear. Remove the tape an slowly pull it through a soft cloth to remove as much moisture as possible. Allow the tape to drop into another dry and clean container untill it is completely dry. Use a new cassette and reload the tape. It will likely be servicable again. If the tape sticks together after drying, wet it again before separating it or the oxide layer may be damaged. The tape is usually not damaged by water itself. If you let the tape fall into the container without any twisting it will usually pull back out without tangles
Patience.and good luck. It souns like a bad job but really isn't!
Len