Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Motor Question

I already looked in automotive forums and couldn't find an answer.

I replaced the window motor in my wife's car so I decided to play with the old one. Connecting it straight to a 12 volt battery it runs fine for a few seconds then slowly stops. It seems to do that more in one direction than the other. I disassembled the motor and thoroughly cleaned it and reassembled. It runs longer but still does it. I just cant formulate a picture in my head as to whats happening. There is no circuitry what so ever. Dead spots and shorts would cause an abrupt stop, not a gradual one. All I can come up with is its not the motor but the worm gear binding on it??

davenn

ummmmm.... so is that the reason why you replaced the motor ?
you surely wouldnt have replaced it unless it was faulty?

there may be some hi resistance faults between turns in the windings

Dave

Without seeing it and taking it apart, it's tough to diagnose. Another possibility to consider is that the grease has dried out, causing binding. If you can take it apart, this failure mode and fix could be done in a couple of minutes.

Yes that's the reason I replaced it, the window would stop half way up or down. I figured I would just replace it, and tinker with the old one. maybe make a solar tracker to align my panel using a couple photo-resistors and a micro controller.

I did tear down the motor section and clean it thoroughly but I cant get to the gear/worm section of it without destroying the housing.