Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Motor controller heating up in certain conditions

Hi,

I have a teensyduino board and I'm trying to use it to drive some 24V motors connected to some wheels.
I bought a Pololu 36V 15A h-bridge motor driver https://www.pololu.com/product/760/specs.

And first, in order to test that it was working, I hooked it up to some LEDs on a boardboard and tried to control the intensity of the LEDs to simulate my motor control code working.

I'm fairly new to electronics and I don't have much of a foundation in basic circuits. But I think I did something wrong since there seem to be some problems with the circuit or the motor driver board now.

The board works fine when I have the DIR (direction) pin set to a HIGH value. But when I set it to LOW, the board gets very hot, and I start smelling it burning.

C7czwqT.png

Is there any immediate reason one can think of as to why the board might start doing that?
I may have accidentally put a 5V input into the "5V (out)" pin which the board says not to do that, but the board still works fine when the DIR pin is HIGH, so it seemed like it was fine.

I'm just wondering if there are certain things I can look for or test to figure out if the motor controller is okay or not.