Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Motion sensor to activate light and sound

Hello. I stumbled across this forum and hope it's the right place to get some help with a little (and hopefully simple) project that I'd like to start. I picked up a mounted steer's head (horns and all) that I'd like to improve with some lights and sounds. The head came with a plaster filling but I removed all of that and now it's hollow but still holding its shape. Here's what I'd like to do, hopefully with minimal cost. Using a motion sensor, I'd like the eyes to light up red and the head to make a 'moo' sound (as loud as practical using battery power) when someone walks by.

Can someone please get me started as what kind of motion sensor and other components I could use which would allow playback of my own recorded sounds and also activate the lights?

Thanks.

Detectors to turn on outside lights often use infra-red detection. They have a grid which gives a varying signal when the target image moves over it. The light level inhibition will need to be disabled.

There are ultrasonic distance measuring modules which may work but it will depend on the reflectivity of the surface. It may not work with your ermine coat.

Thanks for reply. I thought there might be an off-the-shelf motion detector that would have some kind of output signal that would trigger the lights and a sound device. I saw some PIR devices that looked like they might work but I have no idea on how to hook them up.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Some PIR devices (typically operating from a low voltage -- like 5V) will have a logic output. You need to use a transistor to switch anything with that.

Others, typically mains operated will switch a power (often an AC Power) connection.

Whilst both do almost exactly the same thing, the way you use both is vastly different.

Which one were toy considering?

Don't know yet. This may be out of my reach. I was hoping someone would suggest the parts that would be needed. I mean the application seems simple enough - light up an LED and play a recorded sound when someone approaches. Thanks.

davenn

The standard PIR unit for alarm uses a 12V power supply and has a set of switched relay contacts
you could use that to control a voice module like this
wouldn't take too much to wire up but you will probably have to consider what sort of battery supply you would need

Dave