Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Module for controlling 12v motor

Hi, this is my first post here, real newbie question. I used to play around with electronics in the late 80's but haven't touched anything since then. I don't even own a soldering iron anymore.

I'm planning a project for my home brewing where I will need to turn on a 12v DC (or possibly 24v) motor for a set amount of time at set intervals, e.g. on for 3 mins every 4 hours. The accuracy doesn't need to be that high.

I've noticed that your can get quite a few pre-built modules these days, in fact I used a pwm one recently to control a motor on a stir plate, but can't really find what I'm looking for - it may be that I'm not using the correct search terms. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Harald Kapp

Would you be comfortable with a bit of low level programming? A microcomputer (Arduino, Raspberry Pi etc.) with a relay shield (to turn the power to the motor on and off) can easily do the job.

Alternatively the VMK188 module by Velleman looks like a perfect match for what you're looking for. Here is a retailer in Germany and you can download the manual before you buy. Chances are you can buy this module from a retailer in GB, too.

I would be comfortable with programming a Pi, but that might be overkill for my interned application. The Velleman kit, however, is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much!