Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Marantz SR 63 static noise on left channel

I haven't touched a circuit board in decades, so please forgive my ignorance, but I think a capacitor might be the issue with the problem listed below.

I have a 1993 Sr-63 Marantz AV Receiver that was shipped to Japan (100V/60Hz) where I now live. It was tested once upon arrival 4 years ago, and, with the room finally finished, again yesterday. It worked fine, and all 4 speakers produced beautiful sound, high and low volume.

I was interrupted in my setup, and promptly forgot to turn the power off. This morning when I tried to use it, all left audio (including the headphones) had a lot of noise.

I had tried switching wires, but once I realized that my headphones were similarly affected, I scratched that strategy. My guess is a capacitor somewhere. But how do I test this? I don't have a schematics or manual for the receiver.

What do you think it is? Might it be the low voltage?

Your help would be appreciated?

Before taking it apart, recheck all of your input/output wires again. That's usually the problem, a bad connection, connector, or wire.
I know you think the speakers and headphones having the same problem means you can skip that step, but don't
I always try the simple first. Yeah, you probably have a circuit issue like a cap, as you suspect, but check the basic
stuff first before tearing into your receiver.
Also, what are you using as your input? The receiver with an antenna connection, or some other peripheral like a tape deck or some other input signal that might be injecting a bad input that your amplifier is outputting?
Also, and I've had disagreements about this before. When I was in Japan, the military bases all had 120VAC available,
but it was still at the 50Hz Japanese cycle standard, not 60hz. Probably not an issue here, but thought I'd mention it.

I wil certainly do that in a few days as is it easier. I prefer not to play with the circuit board if I don’t have to.

Japan is split into two zones, 50 or 60 Hz, but all at 100V. I live in the 60Hz zone. Military bases are geared for American equipment. I was thinking of getting a power converter but I can’t find out how much power the receiver needs.

Thank you for your help, btw.

I too have heard noise on the left channel and I'm not sure about the right: I was using it with speakers as an external audio system for my television. I was lazy about putting it in standby and I would leave it on for long periods. Sometimes I would hear just a slight noise when I had the TV off. Other times it was quiet. So I don't think it was a connector issue. I never heard that noise when I had the TV on and was actually using the system. It was a reminder for me to occasionally turn off the receiver and give it a break.

Sounds like a noisy switch somewhere. Switch contacts tend to oxidise over the years unless they are Gold plated. They are generally plated with silver or an alloy of silver and something else.