Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Making a beacon

My daughter has a science project -- she needs to build a beacon that remains dormant until activated by a signal that can then broadcast a unique frequency signal that can range between 100 to 300 feet; the beacon needs to be as small as possible, the size of a quarter or even smaller if possible. Would this be considered a medium range signal? What type of technology would we look at? Garage door signal? Bluetooth? Other? Please help. Thanks.

davenn

what sort of signal is going to trigger it ?
your size limit is unlikely to be met for a home project ... that would be a challenge even for a hi tech manufacturing company

Dave

what sort of signal is going to trigger it ?
your size limit is unlikely to be met for a home project ... that would be a challenge even for a hi tech manufacturing company

Dave
Cell signal to trigger; I don't mind contacting a high tech company, any suggestions?

"...I don't mind contacting a high tech company, ..." ????

Isn't a student science project supposed to be within the capability of the "student"? Seems like she should be the one asking questions here? I can almost always tell when a student project has been overtaken partially or completely to an adult. Especially when you start asking the student questions about the details of "their" project. :(

Ken

davenn

Isn't a student science project supposed to be within the capability of the "student"?

yup, exactly

it will cost you $1000's to get a hi-tech company to do it for you and as Ken said totally defeats the purpose of the exercise

I suggest you look for something that is within the capabilities of your daughters knowledge and skills

Do you have a more clear description of the requirements. It sounds like this can be done with some $3 modules from China - except for that whole cell phone requirement.

ak