Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking mains voltage in the eye and surviving

Harald Kapp

On hackaday.com a nicely written 2-part story about the dangers of mains voltage can be found:
I highly recommend reading this article to everyone dealing with voltages above a safe level of ~30 V.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I'm lovin' this

not-only-will-this-kill-you.jpg

I'm one of those people who often treat equipment as if it's powered up and dangerous, even if it's not. I also double, triple, and quadruple check that the mains connector is unplugged.

But at the same time, I'll operate equipment with exposed mains wiring because I am confident that I won't accidentally touch it.

I'm also fond of this statement:

There is no dishonour in deciding that the risk in front of you is too great and backing away. Indeed it is healthy caution that keeps engineers alive to collect their pensions.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Yeah, I have occasionally warned people in the house about exposed mains wiring. But I probably don't need to say that I don't leave it unattended nor have this hazard exposed when children are around.

And yeah, as Dave suggests, part of the reason is to have someone nearby who might notice if I accidentally electrocute myself.

no, you need at least the wife somewhere nearby to do CPR if you do accidentally touch the wrong spot and end up on the floor
at least with her there to jumpstart you, you have a chance of survival :)

Dave
Right, of course.

Bob