Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Lithium ion battery charger.

Any idea where to get some specs to build a lithium ion battery charger IC ?
I'm going to go through the principles soon, bu i need a charger soon....
Any resources you guys have gone through that would include IC specs ?
Thanks...

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
You want to build an IC? Surely that's not right.

If you want the specs on a particular IC, you can probably just google it.

Googling "lithium ion charger IC" will get you links to many different ICs, MAX1555, ISL6291, LM3621, MCP738xx, ...

Charging Lithium cells is relatively easy, as long as you follow the rules. The issues are to ensure that you neither over charge nor over discharge them -- the consequences vary, but can be between serious and explosive. Where you have a battery, the main issue is to ensure that no single cell is over discharged or over charged. As such, it is almost universal for each cell to be independently monitored.

Nice so either you have over $500k to throw around at a project whose design you trust to strangers.... or your taking an IC design class and you would like someone to do the designing?

I guess there is the possibility you meant that you want to design with an IC not design an IC the cost delta of which would be around $499.95k give or take $30.

I think a battery charger would make a fine IC design school project and if I didn't know where to start I would lookup the datasheets for the parts (*steve*) mentioned and read them. It will give you a very good indication of how the process is controlled. From there add your own know how and build something you can be proud of.

Sheesh ! I'm sorry NickS, please don't beat me....
I meant i wanted a circuit spec and chip numbers that will when assembled, become (magically) a lithium ion battery charger.(because I'm too proud to just buy one)
Thanks steve, i'll look into those....

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
lithium ion battery, or lithium ion cell?

And what sort of lithium battery (there are a stack of them, most with different voltages per cell)?

Sheesh ! I'm sorry NickS, please don't beat me....
I meant i wanted a circuit spec and chip numbers that will when assembled, become (magically) a lithium ion battery charger.(because I'm too proud to just buy one)
Thanks steve, i'll look into those....

No I am sorry, after re-reading what I posted yesterday I see that I came across as a total ass. I wish you the best in building your battery charger.

I think the specs will vary slightly from one manufacturer to the next so perhaps if you know whose batteries you will be using the mfr may be the place to find charging and care specifications.

Any idea where to get some specs to build a lithium ion battery charger IC ?
I'm going to go through the principles soon, bu i need a charger soon....
Any resources you guys have gone through that would include IC specs ?
Thanks...

I am also making one. i have a very good IC that is IEEE, WEEE standards. but my dealer says you need to buy many ( 1000). I need just 10-20. so if you are making many chargers i could give you about 50 atleast. this Ic gives 4.2 volts to cell and input upto 30 volts. so its a good one. if you agree we could help each other.. the part number is SC824. see the datasheet. you wont think of any other IC, i bet!!
for details contact me at [email protected] and post a copy of it in this thread. i want everything transparent!!

I make no stance for or against the part just mentioned. However I can say that it is not necessary to split an order of 1000.

At the time of this post 20 are available in single qty here

Sorry for the very late response...
Hey Rohit ! I am interested in your proposition. PM me with the price etc, and if you have any schematics, it would be great. We could pool in our efforts in the project.
NickS is right, 1000 is way too much to buy, your guy is probably ripping you off.....
Order it online, it would be better, then we can arrange something....

EDIT: For now, i guess I'll just be handling equal voltage cells stacked in series to form a nice 6V source...(or maybe 4.5) but i think local retailers sell 1.5V cells as the lowest value....

Thanks.

Last edited:
Why does it not surprise me that someone who can not figure out the basics of physics, chemistry and electricity, confusing his ignorance with earth shattering discoveries, is also unable to figure out how to buy parts in the small quantities he needs.
Hey ! Don't drive rohit away. I need his help here...
And what basis could you possibly have for those claims anyway ?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Hey ! Don't drive rohit away. I need his help here...
And what basis could you possibly have for those claims anyway ?

You should read more of rohit's posts an make your own mind up.

55p is often very blunt in his assessments. Occasionally so blunt that a moderator will step in. But often we don't.

Hmm.... Sure...Sure.... But does this mean that there is a very slight chance that the chip he pointed to is not what i should be looking for ?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I have no idea? Have you checked the specs? Have you checked the other information indicating the chip can be obtained in small quantities?

I have no idea? Have you checked the specs? Have you checked the other information indicating the chip can be obtained in small quantities?

This chip may be available in small quantities, but not in india. here i have contacts with all the dealers. they refused to give me in retail. the things i quoted earlier are there words. i am looking for partners to buy these IC's 1000 pieces are toooo large for me to buy. i also gave some other ic's that can be used alternatively. my main concern for these ic's is temperature control. my laptop battery got spoiled because of heating form laptop. the ic SC 824 i've mentioned is the best i could find out. it has tri mode input and temperature contro. rest i have posted earlier.