Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Light voltage sensor

Hi guys,
I am looking to build a simple sensor that can return a voltage reading corresponding to how much light (i.e. intensity) it receives. I am looking to do this in the IR light spectrum.

I have done some circuit design fundamentals several years ago and am abit rusty with this stuff now.

Researching has led me to believe that i should be using an infrared phototransistor. I had an attempt at designing a super simple circuit to achieve this and just wanted some input on whether i am on the right track or if you guys have any suggestions? Unless there is a cheap off the shelf part that does this already.

Find my diagram below:

Vin o----(Phototransistor)------------/\/\/\/\/\/\---------|ii Ground

As the photo transistor will allow more current to flow through the resitor as more light strikes it then this will increase the voltage across the resistor, which is what i will measure. I am assuming that i can simply use a 9V battery (or similar) as Vin.

Will this work? am i on the right track? if not can someone point me in the right direction or if there are already existing circuit diagrams for this that would be great.

Thanks