Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LG TV started smoking

Hello,

So I caught my TV smoking the other day and hes only 5 years old! Seriously though, for a few days before the smoking I could hear a strange sound coming from the back of the TV, it sort of sounded like a little scratching. Actually at first I thought maybe there was mouse or something in my dresser which the LCD TV is on. But after listening to it closely I could tell it was coming from the TV, however I let it go because I thought that maybe the sound was coming from the speakers and maybe it was a problem with the video file I was watching off the USB stick.

Anyway one night my wife and I were watching something on the TV and suddenly something went "POP!!" from the right side of the TV and right away a bunch of white smoke started poring out from the bottom. At that moment the TV was still playing fine but within a few seconds of the POP sound, I turned it off and jumped up and unplugged it from the wall. Anyway the smoke finally stopped and cleared up quickly with not much smell.

The other day I finally took the back cover off the TV to inspect what might have gone wrong. What I found was on the back cover there was some sort of brown clear liquid which was also the side which the smoke came out of. Also on one of the circuit broads I could see some of the same brown liquid, the board also being on the same side with the smoke. So I sort of zoned in on these three capacitors which looked a little plump and were also in the area of the heavy amounts of liquid. I suspect it's these three or at least one of these capacitors that went pop.

Here are my questions:
1. Looking at the photo, do you think the capacitors look bad?
2. What is that black thing that seems to be holding the tops of the three capacitors in place?
3. Where can I get new capacitors if in fact these are bad

Also some more info:
This is a LG LCD TV, 42 inch screen and I bought it here in Switzerland about 5 years ago

Thanks,
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_1264_small.jpg
    IMG_1264_small.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 473

davenn

HI Bruce
welcome to EP :)

So I caught my TV smoking the other day and hes only 5 years old! Seriously though,

hahaha the same thoughts went through my mind before I even opened the thread

The other day I finally took the back cover off the TV to inspect what might have gone wrong. What I found was on the back cover there was some sort of brown clear liquid which was also the side which the smoke came out of. Also on one of the circuit broads I could see some of the same brown liquid, the board also being on the same side with the smoke. So I sort of zoned in on these three capacitors which looked a little plump and were also in the area of the heavy amounts of liquid. I suspect it's these three or at least one of these capacitors that went pop.

the ends of them do look bulged and popped and it is probably the electrolyte from within them that is sprayed around the place

Not sure what the black thing is. it may just be for support.

yes just support

Something else probably failed causing the caps to blow.

possibly but not likely

Here are my questions:
1. Looking at the photo, do you think the capacitors look bad?
2. What is that black thing that seems to be holding the tops of the three capacitors in place?
3. Where can I get new capacitors if in fact these are bad

1 yes
2 support for the caps
3 try digikey, mouser etc 47uF 450V

Dave

davenn

Those are 18mm diameter and you will more than likely have trouble physically fitting them in the space.

space doesn't really look to be an issue when you look at the PCB .... it is very open spaced ... low density of components

thanks for the information! I found this one at a local store, but it's so much smaller, is it really the same?

http://www.conrad.ch/ce/de/product/...m-Panasonic-EEU-ED2W470-1-St?ref=searchDetail

don't seen any problem with those

davenn

look the same as the originals

I it looks like they may not have a positive and negative side

I can see a white stripe on the left and middle ones :)

Where the board for my TV does have a printed plus by the longer leg of the cap.

as above and just cut the lead to suit

Dave